Chapter Eleven

Moonshade stared at Stonewhisker. She had come reporting of feeling strange. It was like she was always hungry, but her belly had felt weirdly full. It was a few days after Starlingmist had retired. Now, Stonewhisker had just stated the impossible. It was too soon! How could that possibly be true? She padded around as he instructed, and he confirmed it. "Yep. Feel your belly. You'll see I'm not lying." She prodded her stomach with her paw. It felt much firmer than usual. She looked despairingly at Stonewhisker. "Please don't tell anyone. I don't know how my mother coped with staying confined in one area for so long! I want to be free for as long as possible." He agreed, and she left the den. She tried- and failed for the for the first time- to jump onto the meeting rock. She hissed, and called out patrols. Then, she sighed. She placed a paw on the prey pile, and chose the biggest thing there. It was the last remaining haunch of the moose. She pulled it down, and tried to climb to Laurelstar's den. She failed to do that too. Sharpstone, seeing her frustration, grabbed the prey and climbed up. This time, Moonshade made it- but barely. She was gasping for breath at the top, and it wasn't normal for the usually-fit she-cat to feel so... fat. She looked at her belly. It was getting bigger by the day. She looked at the cats inside the den. It was only Laurelstar and Sharpstone. Laurelstar sat up, and glanced at Moonshade. "Thank you for the prey, but you will not be having any." What? Shadepaw gasped in her mind. "You have been stealing more than your fair share in leaf-bare! How else could you look so fat?" Moonshade flinched at her words. "Laurelstar, I'm not taking more than my fair share. Actually, I have not eaten today, and my belly has grown bigger, if that's possible. I didn't know a she-cat could be this big!" Laurelstar gaze brightened. "Oh. I see. I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. " She nodded, and pushed the moose piece closer. "In that case, dig in! Oh, but leave some for me!" She added. Before Moonshade could even crouch down, Sharpstone flashed a speckled black-orange-and-white paw in front of her face. "Umm, I don't see. How can you be so... uh, plump? What is it that she-cats know that I don't?" He asked, deliberately not using the word fat. Laurelstar giggled, and for a moment she sounded like an apprentice again. "You say you don't see? How can you not see father-hood staring you in the face?" He flinched back, as if the gentle cream cat had hit him. "I'm a... I'm a..." He murmured, shocked. His eyes widened. He flopped over, just like Crystalflower when she got too excited. Otherwise known as fainting. Shadepaw teased. Moonshade laughed very hard at that comment. She had never known a tom that fainted. Laurelstar joined in the giggle fest, and they were still laughing when Sharpstone came to. Of course, he asked the same question every cat asks. "What happened?" Moonshade tried to stop laughing, but she only made it worse. "Y-y-ou f-fai-nted!" She shrieked, shaking with suppressed laughter. He leaned back as if he were about to be hit once more. "So I'm a... A father?" He asked, saying the word as if it were new to him. Moonshade nodded, and suddenly stopped laughing altogether. Somehow, the joke wasn't funny anymore. "Laurelstar, please don't confine me to the nursery!" She pleaded. " I can't promise that. But can I promise a good meal?" She pointed to the moose piece. They all ate at it, and what was left they saved for later. Or at least, Moonshade tried to. "We can eat that later. I'm bound to be hungry again soon." She turned away, and while she looked out, Sharpstone let the remains clatter out a small hole in the side of the stone den. He did the most horrible imitation of a crow, and said, "Oh, sorry Moonshade! A crow flew off with it." Moonshade turned. She made a face like she just ate something sour. "Alright. Fine. I will probably eat some... shrews. Yes. Shrews." Sharpstone glanced at his leader. "How in Starclan's name can you think about food? We literally just ate!" He licked her on the ear fondly. Moonshade continued to look at the camp below. She turned after a few moments, and dipped her head to her leader. "Do either of you mind if I go for a walk?" She asked. "Not at all." Laurelstar replied, Sharpstone shook his speckled head. "Thank you." She half-slid/half-climbed down the rocks, and exited the camp. Strangely, she headed along the lake, on the border with Windclan. They did not know that she was the new deputy yet, and if she saw a patrol, she could tell them. She walked along the lakeside, sniffing for Windclan. She found no patrol, but she continued along the lakeside. She continued around the entire lake, never seeing one patrol. But she scented them. Sometimes she sat on a hill to catch her breath, and she knew they were watching her, just waiting for her to do something wrong. But she didn't, not even when a rabbit practically jumped on her. She traveled around the whole lake, and came back to camp after she had finished her circut. Moonshade puffed as she entered the camp; she was out of breath. She pushed through the thorns, and was immediately greeted by Sharpstone. "You're back!" He called, jumping right into her path. "Look! It's the Gathering tonight!" Moonshade looked up. A full moon was just beginning to show above the trees. Laurelstar called many cats together, and chose a few to come to the island. They all left, Moonshade trying to keep up with her heavy belly.

***

Shadowclan evidently did not win any of their battles for territory. They all looked somewhat shamefaced as they arrived to the island. Each cat took their places, and just as Moonshade sat at the foot of the tree, Orangestar called for the Gathering to begin. "I see that your deputy has retired." Coldstar murmured to Laurelstar. She only nodded, and waited. "We spotted your new deputy walking along the lake!" Orangestar called, turning a questioning head to Laurelstar. Coldstar nodded. "We did too." Cypresstar nodded as well. So did Pikestar. "And did she stay within three-tail lengths of the water?" Laurelstar asked. Each of them inclined their heads once more. "So I see no problem-" Laurelstar was cut off by Cypresstar. "How do we know she wasn't spying on us?" He called, glaring down on Moonshade. She held her head high, knowing she did nothing wrong. Sharpstone called from his place beside his sister. "Laurelstar! May I speak?" Laurelstar sat down, showing him that he was allowed to voice himself. "I know exactly what Moonshade was doing." Curious faces turned to him. "She was memerizing each of the clans scents, because she will not be coming to Gatherings for a few moons." Laurelstar showed the faintest smile. "She's having my kits!" Cheers rang around the clearing, and every cat's suspicion vanished. Moonshade shrunk under the eyes of the happy clans, and heard Shadepaw whisper; So how does having kittens make you famous exactly?