Chapter Sixteen

The next day, Meadowpaw looked no better. Twistsnout had an infected cut above his eye, and could not train Driftpaw. Whiskerear took over his training for the time being. Moonshade did not want to leave Meadowpaw's side, but she had to, because she had to take Vinepaw out for his promised training session. She brought the black and grey tom to the training area. Then she crouched down, and said, "Try and hit me. Remember, claws sheathed!" Vinepaw nodded, and squared his shoulders. He crouched down, and started to creep forward. His tail was still, and tucked close to his side. Moonshade viewed his crouching, and saw that he favored his right hind paw, just like his father usually did. As Vinepaw came closer, and moved lower in his crouch to spring, Moonshade darted for the open right hind paw, and jabbed one of the tendons. Vinepaw's hind paw went limp, and he nearly fell over. He recovered, and tried to leap on her. Since he had no idea how to truly fight, he was simply springing and trying to hold on to her. Moonshade easily darted out of the way. Moonshade sat down, and licked a paw, drawing it over her ear. Vinepaw stopped hesitantly, unsure if the training bout was over. Moonshade, lightning fast, swept him off his paws. Vinepaw rose again, after he regained his air. Moonshade told him to watch her. She crouched down, and leapt into the air. She twisted in mid-air, as if she was landing on some cat's back. Vinepaw's eyes widened. "How did you do that?" He whispered in an amazed voice. Moonshade said, "Lots of practice." and she demonstrated the move again. Vinepaw squared up again. He leapt onto Moonshade's back, and tried to hold onto her shoulders without claws. Moonshade shook him off, and said, "Good job! Now this time, sink your claws in only a little. It'll give you a better hold." They ran the move again. Vinepaw had the move almost perfected by the time it was sun-high. Moonshade, who was hardly breathing hard, watched Vinepaw break off from the session and sit down. He was panting heavily, and his paws shot out from under him a few seconds after he sat down. "Are you alright?" Moonshade asked, padding over to where her apprentice now lay, his chest heaving as he tried to regain his breath. He tried to answer, but his words came out as a ragged gasping sound. Moonshade bent her head and sniffed him experimentally. He didn't flinch, in fact, he hardly acknowledged her. Only his eyes followed her movements. She sat and waited patiently for him to regain his ability to speak. Moonshade had to wait for several minutes before he gasped, " I ... can... hardly... breathe..." Moonshade bent down and grabbed him by the scruff, and started to drag him away from the training grounds. It took quite a lot of flailing from Vinepaw and a lot of muffled curses from Moonshade to get the apprentice back to camp. She set him down in the entrance to camp, and called, "Stonewhisker!" The old grey medicine cat emerged from his den and pricked his ears, showing that he was listening. "I need your assistance!" He bounded over- or at least, as much as an old cat such as himself could bound- and bent over the apprentice. He sniffed Vinepaw. Then he prodded his stomach. Stonewhisker ran back to his den, the slight panic evident in the way he didn't tell Moonshade that her apprentice would be fine. He usually would reassure his patients and their companion, if they had one. Stonewhisker emerged from the medicine den with a leaf-wrap of coltsfoot. He made Vinepaw chew and swallow it without another word. It took a few seconds, but the coltsfoot took effect and Vinepaw breathed easy again. Vinepaw rose, and shook out his fur. "Thanks." He said, his voice slightly hoarse-sounding. Moonshade pressed her nose to his flank, trying to reassure herself that he was actually okay. He brushed her off, hissing unexpectedly. She flinched, and he instantly apologized. "I'm sorry- '' Moonshade shook her head, which, now that she had stopped training with Vinepaw, felt full of thistledown. Vinepaw's worried face rose slightly, as he stood on the tips of his paws. "No, really-" Moonshade meowed, "It's fine, Vinepaw." She turned away, padding stiffly towards the medicine den to visit her daughter. She refused to show any sign that she had been worried about Vinepaw. Moonshade placed her paws carefully, silently praying for them to stop shaking. Looking up, Moonshade saw Shadowpaw curled up beside his sister. She thought about sitting down and watching them, but dismissed the brief thought almost as soon as she had it. She turned away, and walked to the entrance of the den, not even bothering to try and announce her presence to her kits. Moonshade sighed, and glanced back at Meadowpaw. Meadowpaw's face was creased with pain. Moonshade ground her teeth and muttered, "The whole of stupid Windclan can go to The Dark Forest for all I care." Moonshade stamped her paw in fury, and ran out of the den. If Moonshade's vengeance was not satisfied soon, Windclan might just have a war on their paws.

***

Moonshade jumped on top of the highledge and looked down at the camp. She had sent out patrols already, and there weren't very many cats in the clearing. Moonshade sighed, looking behind her. Laurelstar still wasn't able to leave her den, and the Gathering was coming up. She would have to take Laurelstar's place. Moonshade almost didn't care that the Gathering was about to start. Her head was so full of fury and hate that she was pretty irrational. She looked down again. Slightshadow pressed his nose to Whiskerear's cheek, and watched as Vinepaw and Scratchpaw started a mock fight. It ended quickly when Vinepaw paused in the middle of his attack. His paw stopped in mid-air, and his eyes widened, then started to close. He started to fall. Moonshade darted for her apprentice, trying to catch him before he hit the ground. Scratchpaw beat her to it, and he moved himself beneath his brother before he hit the dirt. "Vinepaw!" Several cats cried out, and crowded around the little apprentice. He didn't move. Stonewhisker pushed through the group of cats to get to Vinepaw. He pressed his nose worriedly into the little tom's pelt, and flinched when his nose touched his fur. "He isn't breathing."