Chapter Eighteen

Moonshade quickly gathered her cats, and pelted for the border with Windclan. They then rolled in the opposing clans' scent markers. Creeping across the border, Moonshade motioned for her cats to follow. They did, and beside her, Slightshadow pressed his tail against her side, while they ran. It was briefly reassuring. Halfway through the territory of Windclan, Moonshade flattened her stomach to the ground, her eyes on the Windclan camp. "Fan out." She whispered. They obeyed her, and started to advance towards the camp. Suddenly, Moonshade had fleeting thoughts about the attack. Is my attack really just? Moonshade took a deep breath, her face hidden from the Windclan camp by the dense gorse. Moonshade hardened her resolve. They practically tortured Meadowpaw! How could I be asking myself if the attack on her kidnappers is just? Moonshade sighed. She straightened, and pressed her feelings of regret and injustice down, until she could feel nothing but the will for vengeance and her anger towards the fleet-footed cats. Moonshade, content that her decision was the right one, stood and yowled a battle cry. Every cat she had brought with her echoed her cry, and rushed down the hill with her. They fell upon the unsuspecting Windclan warriors. "Do not harm the kits, queens, or elders! They are not responsible for this!" Moonshade called, her paws flying. She almost scratched a Windclan's warriors' eyes out. The cat she was fighting screeched, and fled his own camp. Several other cats however, were not faring as well as Moonshade was. Slightshadow was being dragged by his scruff - unconscious - by Herontail, who was covered in scratches himself. Moonshade, trying to scramble to help them, collided with Birchbark, a silver Windclan tom. He retaliated quickly, and yelled over the roar of the warring cats. "Why are you attacking us?! We gave back your daughter!" Moonshade stood her ground, catching her breath. "We want the other cats you have prisoner! They do not deserve this!" Birchbark hissed, and sliced his claws through the air, aiming for Moonshade's face. She dodged, and pinned Birchbark beneath her paws with one deft movement. She looked around. With horror, she noticed her cats were losing. None were willing to back down from the battle - even when Herontail moved Slightshadow, he only moved him to the camp barrier, so he could join the battle once more when he woke. Moonshade opened her mouth, about to call off the attack and retreat, when a familiar white pelted cat raced down the hill, with many other cats behind her. Skyclan! Moonshade threw Birchbark away from her, and raced to meet Coldstar as the Skyclan cats joined the battle.

"How did you know we were-?"

"We kind of figured you wold pull a stupid heroic stunt like this, and also guessed that you were a little out of your leage.We decided it would be best if we help."

Moonshade dipped her head.

"Thank you. It is greatly appreciated."

Coldstar bowed her head, acknowledging her gratitude. The Windclan cats were being driven back to their dens, and Orangestar was being attacked very violently by Shiftwing, the deputy of Skyclan. Coldstar called his name, and he immediately stopped, the Windclan leader pinned beneath him.

"Yes, darling?" The deputy said, with a silky, romantic voice. Even though the tone he used was smooth as silver, there was loads of venom just waiting to be released. He didn't dare let the poisonous voice spill over his usual one. Coldstar rolled her eyes- this tom was evidently her mate- and stood beside him. She twined her tail with his for a moment, and then glared down at Orangestar.

"Let. My. Daughter. Go."

Her voice was laden with warning and promised a very painful death if he did not obey.

The once-noble Windclan leader flicked his tail towards the little bramble dens that had been erected in the corner of the camp.

Slightshadow moved towards the one drenched in Shadowclan anger, and Shiftwing bounded for the other one. Tearing the brambles apart, Shiftwing found his daughter safe and sound. Snowpelt shook her fur out, dislodging the little branches stuck in it. "Thanks, Daddy." She said, with the same smooth, purposeful voice he possessed. It took Slightshadow a little longer to tear the other den apart, but he found Copperlimb in almost perfect health. There was one long scratch across her back, probably from catching it on the brambles, but otherwise she was fine.

Coldstar placed her paw firmly on Orangestar's chest as he tried to move away.

"You stay here." She said, glaring at him. He nodded, scared into submission.

Moonshade nodded at Slightshadow, and watched as Copperlimb dipped her head in gratitude and ran towards her border.

An argument broke out between Orangestar and Coldstar, and Moonshade walked in between them to break it up.

" Thank you for your help, Coldstar. Orangestar, I don't know what your motives are, or what you're trying to achieve, but you need to stop before things get out of your control."

Moonshade dipped her head at Coldstar and glared at Orangestar. She called her cats away and began the journey home.

***

As Moonshade neared the thorn tunnel with her clanmates behind, Treeclaw- who was guarding the entrance to the camp- stopped her. " Have more bad news..." He whispered, his tail drooping.

" Why, aren't you the cheery soul? What is it this time?"

" Larkpaw. She's missing."

Oh, Orangestar loved to make Moonshade mad. He had already taken one daughter, and now he was taking another?

"When? When was the last time you saw her and where was she? "

" Ancient Oak. Sent on a hunting mission, disappeared."

Moonshade growled under her breath, and called Slightshadow to her side. "Treeclaw, stay here in case she comes back. Slightshadow, you're with me, we're going to find my daughter."

***

After they had checked the Ancient Oak, Moonshade sent Slightshadow back to camp. He had looked at her sympathetically, and turned away. Moonshade scanned the Windclan border for any sign of her daughter. She walked back and forth along the border.

All of a sudden, she saw a patrol. It looked like a Windclan patrol, but it also had Riverclan warriors. So Riverclan has teamed up with Windclan...

Moonshade heard them laughing and talking with each other. Peering closer, she saw a light calico pelt in between two Riverclan cats.

Larkpaw!

Moonshade was about to rush in and attack when the three Riverclan warriors beat her to it.

They turned and smashed the Windclan warriors' heads into the ground. It knocked two of them unconscious immediately, but one of them had to be slammed against the ground a second time.

Now Moonshade could finally recognize the cats in the patrol. Redflight, Clearpool, and Finchtail from Riverclan, and Nightfur, Creeksplash, and Birchbark from Windclan.

Riverclan had evidently pretended to team up with Windclan. That might be why they had no cats taken.

Redflight roused Larkpaw, and spoke to her gently.

"Larkpaw, we know your mother is the clan deputy. We are terribly sorry about what happened to you today. Please, tell your mother that Riverclan is on her side and will protect her as best they can from Windclan. Pikestar is doing his best to persuade Orangestar not to capture anymore cats- it's an awful thing to do and stresses cats out for no reason. Go now, and tell your mother."

Larkpaw nodded, and she raised her head to rub her chin against Redflight's.

"Thank you so much Redflight. You too, Clearpool and Finchtail. This means so much to me. I promise, I will never forget what you three have done for me today."

She rubbed her face against Clearpool's and Finchtail's. Then, she turned tail and ran towards the Thunderclan camp.

After she had gone, Moonshade walked up to them. "I was just about to attack when you three busted their heads. Thank you for saving Larkpaw. My kits are my whole world- I nearly lost Meadowpaw, I don't need to worry about losing another daughter."

Clearpool dipped her head. "It's the least we could do. I presume you heard?"

"I did. I'll go and meet Larkpaw at the camp. Give my regards to Pikestar."
"We will." Redflight murmured. "May Starclan light your path Moonshade, and clear the way for a better life for us all."

Moonshade dipped her head and began to run back home.