CHAPTER TWENTY

(THIS IS THE ENDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD)

Moonshade brought her chosen cats to the border at moonset. The sun would be rising in the east in a few minutes.

"As soon as we hear the calls of battle, we rush in. Understood?"

Slightshadow, who was beside her, nodded.

He would make a good deputy...

Moonshade's head shot up as she heard a yowl off in the distance. It was early, but they had gotten there in advance just for that reason. "That's our cue."

The Thunderclan cats bounded out of the forest and rushed into battle. Redflight's words had been true- Windclan was attacking Shadowclan.

Immediately Windclan turned around to see Thunderclan at their backs and the whole of Shadowclan at their front.

They leapt into battle anyway. Moonshade stood for a second, looking at the many pelts swarming the area.

A bright spot of orange fur flashed beside her, and she turned to see Orangestar fighting like a whole army, tearing cats' pelts off and biting every area he could find.

Moonshade leapt on top of his back, flattening him to the ground. "Why Orangestar? Why? Do you see where this greed has gotten you? You are getting good cats killed for no reason!"

Orangestar hissed. "I did it to help my clan! We don't wish to be the Windclan that existed so long ago, relying on every clan to keep us alive!"

"But you aren't! You don't prove you are self-sufficient, you prove that you are greedy and will kill to get what you want! We all know that you Windclan cats can support yourselves, you don't need to start a whole war to prove it!"

Orangestar looked at the battle around him. "It doesn't matter, what's done is done."

"You can retreat, and hold at least some of your honor-"

"Retreating does me no honor, it shows we are weak in times of hardship!"
Orangestar threw Moonshade off. She slashed at his face, narrowly missing his eyes.

He sank his teeth into her hind leg. She screeched and turned to bite his shoulder.

She missed Orangestar's shoulder and bit his neck instead. He collapsed and Moonshade immediately let go.

Orangestar shuddered for a second, then was still. Did he lose a life? Doesn't he have more?

Moonshade waited for him to start his next life, but he stayed still for way too long.

Creeksplash of Windclan turned around and yowled, "Orangestar is dead! Windclan, retreat!"

A few Windclan cats gathered Orangestar's body and carried him off to be buried in their own territory.

Moonshade looked around. The battle had been quick, but it had also been fierce. Scratchpaw and Vinepaw were sitting side by side, licking each other's wounds. Moonshade turned around and saw all of the damage Windclan had caused.

Then, she saw Sharpstone crouched over a small body.

Oh no, please don't be Driftpaw or Meadowpaw... Oh Starclan don't take any of my kits...

Sharpstone lifted his head and yowled. Litchenfeather came to sit beside him and joined her brother's calls. (I think Duskpelt was the father???)

Morningflame was lying in the dirt, her neck at an odd angle, her face twisted in a mask of shock that would last forever.