Chapter Twelve

The agony was unbearable. Moonshade twisted and turned in her new nest in the nursery, and, she faintly wondered, if she had eaten something bad without realizing it. She writhed, screeching with the pain. Immediately, Sharpstone pushed his way into the den, his eyes wide with shock. He turned, preparing to get Stonewhisker, when Moonshade gasped. "Don't... leave... me..." He shook his head, sorrow written plainly on his face. "I have to! I need to get help!" He ran, full pelt, through the new blanket of snow that fell in the night. Moonshade shrieked, screaming out as many prayers to Starclan as she could find in her head. A faint voice whispered in her mind. Moonshade... Listen to me... "SHADEPAW?" She yowled, unable to bring her voice down. "SHADEPAW HELP ME!" I can't! I'm so sorry, but you must listen to me! She squirmed, her now-huge belly tensing and releasing simultaneously. I'm ... I'm like the legend of Cinderpelt! Shadepaw called, his voice growing fainter. One of these kits will have... uh, me in them! My spirit is in one of these kits. So calm down! You need to stop, because you might damage your children! That made Moonshade stop, but only slightly. Stonewhisker and Crystalflower came into the den. Moonshade tried to listen to her brother's advice, but to do so, she reverted to screeching. She continued to yell for her brother, even though he couldn't hear her anymore. He was busy trying to figure out which of his sister's kits to choose. Stonewhisker ignored her yells of "Don't touch me!" and "Where are you Shadepaw?" and he placed his paws firmly on her belly. He felt through her fur, and his eyes widened. He had sent Sharpstone out for the kitting, and he could hear him pacing outside. "Feels like there's five of them. Go tell the worried warrior out there to get a very sturdy stick." He told Crystalflower. She nodded, and turned to leave. "NO! MOMMA DON'T LEAVE ME!" Mooonshade screeched. Crystalflower ignored her daughter and exited the den. Moonshade closed her eyes. Why did kitting have to hurt so much? Moonshade gasped, as her belly tensed even more. Sharpstone chose that moment to come in, carrying a rowan stick. He dropped it, and glared at Stonewhisker. "Why aren't you helping her?" He accused. "I am doing all I can. Put that there." He gestured to the stick. Sharpstone wedged it between her teeth, and it stopped further pained shouts from the agonized queen. She bit down, relishing the distraction. She pushed when Stonewhisker demanded her to, and soon the pain actually stopped. She looked down at her new babies. There were indeed five, and each of them were beautiful. There were two toms, and three she-kits. And one of them... Moonshade looked closer at the little tom-kit. He was a perfect image of her brother. Moonshade snuggled him closer as he mewled. "Oh, Shadepaw..." She murmured, loud enough for every cat inside to hear. One of the she-kits looked just like her mother, except the splotch of white on her little head didn't exactly look like a furry moon. Another she-kit looked like her father, calico markings and all. The last one looked like a mix of her parents. The other tom-kit looked like he had fallen in snow; he was all black with white legs and paws, with a few specks of orange along his back. Stonewhisker nudged the little tom that looked like Shadepaw. "This is your firstborn." Moonshade ignored him, because she was too busy trying to contact her brother through their link. Is this what you meant? She thought. She however, only got a faint reply. Good-bye, my sweet sister... Moonshade sighed. She was tired, now that all the pain was gone. She looked at her mate. He touched the second tom-kit, and murmured, "Is Driftkit okay?" Moonshade nodded. He moved his nose to the she-kit that was almost his perfect reflection. "Larkkit?" Moonshade nodded again. Her eyes were drooping. She pushed her nose lightly into another she-kits' fur. "She looks... just like us. Meadowkit." Sharpstone started to curl around Moonshade. "I like that name." He touched the she-kit that looked like Moonshade with a paw. "Slatekit?" Moonshade purred. "And... and Shadekit." She whispered, pushing her muzzle deep into her firstborn's fur. "Our new little family." Oh, thank you Shadepaw... Now my family is almost the same again! Father... If you're watching me... Are you proud of me? She wondered each thought slowly, because she was slipping into sleep. She had one more thought before her head fell over Sharpstone's back. Shadepaw, this time you will live. I promise.