Chapter Nineteen

Moonshade met Larkpaw at the entrance just as she was about to enter. "Mother! I-"

Moonshade bounded over and pressed her nose against her daughter's. "I saw it all. I was going to help you, but it seemed the Riverclan cats had it under control."

"Yes, Redflight was awesome! He only just became a warrior, and has his own apprentice-"

"Why do you know so much about this Riverclan tom, Larkpaw?"

Larkpaw flattened her ears and turned her head. "N-no reason... Like... the Gatherings and such...?"

Moonshade narrowed her eyes and led her daughter into the camp. "I hope you aren't seeing him outside of Gatherings."

Larkpaw quickly bounded away, calling over her shoulder- "I'm not Momma! Don't worry."

Under her breath, Moonshade muttered, "I can't help but worry."

Larkpaw was greeted by many mews, welcoming her back, asking her where she had been, and wondering why she smelled like Riverclan and Windclan cats.

Scratchpaw was particularly keen to make himself heard, so he pushed through the throng of cats and accidentally bumped into her. He dropped his tail after he spoke to her though, and walked away.

Moonshade intercepted Scratchpaw before he could exit the camp. "Why are you so gloom and doom all of a sudden?"

"Larkpaw... I know she doesn't care about me like I care about her..."

Ah, a lover's trouble.

"And... well, I don't mean to throw her on the Thunderpath or anything... but she's been seeing some cat at night and isn't telling anyone about it."

He all of a sudden flattened his ears. "I don't mean to get her in trouble! I don't even know who she's seeing, and we don't know if it's someone from a different clan! Please don't tell her I told you! She'll hate me for sure!"

He dropped his tail again and looked sadly at the ground. "I don't know what I'd do if she hated me..."

Moonshade draped her tail over Scratchpaw's back. "Don't worry. I'll see tonight if it's someone from a different clan. I think I have an idea who she's seeing, and I promise, it won't be your fault if she gets in trouble. And who knows, she might warm up to you. I know I didn't like Sharpstone at all when we were apprentices."

Scratchpaw looked up. "Really? You two are pretty much the closest cats in the camp, other than Mom and Dad."

Moonshade nodded. "Yes, we are pretty close. But we weren't always that way. So, it might turn out to be that way between you and Larkpaw."

Scratchpaw thought for a second and sighed. "You might be right. I'll think about it."

"Good to hear. Just don't leave the camp, because we don't know what Orangestar might be planning."

He nodded and walked to the apprentice's den. Speaking of planning, I don't even know if Cypresstar is helping Orangestar or not. Riverclan and Skyclan are helping us, but is Shadowclan?

What if Shadowclan has teamed up with Windclan?

Moonshade was dragged out of her thoughts by Starlingmist calling for Stonewhisker. "Stonewhisker! Laurelstar isn't breathing right!"

Oh no.

Moonshade ran as fast as she could and leaped up the Highledge. She saw Laurelstar laying in her nest, her back to the entrance. The slow rise and fall of her chest and back was barely noticeable.