05 | CHAPTER ONE

When Mollie pulled her hand away, the crushed and flattened flower in her hand was completely stained red. So was his skin. The wound, however, had closed. The teeth marks were still visible, she didn't think those would ever go away, but it was closed, and he wasn't going to bleed out. Siddiq, of course, had no choice but to believe her now, even if he really didn't want to. Now they were waiting, keeping Carl awake and monitoring his temperature. He was hot, yet, but he wasn't burning. He didn't feel like he was turning at all. Mollie heard a drain grate shift, and footsteps in the water coming from the other drain, the one outside of Alexandria.

Mollie struggled to her feet, raising her gun and moving to stand in front of Siddiq and Carl.

"Hey!" Mollie let out a sigh of relief at the sound of Daryl's voice. "Carl?"

"Daryl?" Mollie whispered back. Daryl came around the corner, crossbow raised. They both sighed, lowering their weapons. "What are you guys doing here? I thought you were getting out."

"Yeah, we did, and we took care of the convoy." Daryl nodded. Rosita, Tara, and of all people Dwight rounded the corner after him. "Who's this?" Daryl raised his bow against Siddiq.

"Don't!" Mollie moved in front him. "Don't, he's not one of them! Carl found him outside, he's on his own and he's a doctor." Daryl didn't lower her bow. "Daryl, he's not one of them." Daryl sighed, waiting for another moment before lowering his bow.

"We gotta go get everyone else, it's safe here." Rosita said. "They're not far out."

"I'll go with you." Tara nodded. The two of them set out for the sewer exit once again. Mollie sighed, putting her gun away and finally sitting down next to Carl.

"Hey." Carl's voice called her attention. "Everyone." They all looked at Carl. "We're gonna be okay. We just gotta wait for my dad."

———

It didn't take long for Tara and Rosita to return with the rest, everyone piling into the uncomfortable sewers to wait for Rick. Siddiq had been checking people over, and had stabilized Mollie's broken ankle for her. They'd also shut Carl's shirt, not wanting to have to explain it all at the moment. Judy fell asleep in Carl's lap almost as soon as she got there. They only had to wait about ten more minutes before the Alexandria grate slid open again, and Daryl whistled. A whistle returned, meaning it was Michonne. Mollie looked down the sewers, bumping Carl's arm when she saw Rick. Of course, Rick was tearing up at the sight of his kids, hurrying down the sewer to where Carl and Judy where, and pulling them into a hug.

Mollie scooted away slightly, giving them space, and Michonne sat down next to her with a sigh.

"Dad." Carl spoke up, making Rick pull away. "I have to tell you something." Mollie looked over at him with wide eyes. He looked back, a small smile appearing on his face. "Don't worry, it's okay." Rick looked between them before back at Carl.

"What's going on?" Rick asked.

"Mollie...she saved my life." Carl said. "Without her...I'd be turning right now." Rick sat back on his legs, shock the only thing on his face.

"What do you mean?" Michonne asked, now sitting up on her knees too.

"I got bit, saving Siddiq." Carl said, pulling his shirt up to reveal the bite scar. "But Mollie...Mollie is special. And she saved me."

"W-Wh-" Rick couldn't find words, his hand shaking as he reached out and touched the scar on Carl's side. It looked as if had been there for years, not hours.

"She made me immune. And she healed the wound, too. Otherwise I might've bled out." Carl looked back over at Mollie, a tired smile on his face. "She saved me."

"What are you talking about, Carl?" Michonne asked. "What is he talking about? What did you do?"

"I...I didn't want to have to tell you guys right now, seeing as there's a lot more shit to worry about." Mollie glanced at Carl. "But I um...I'm a witch, and trust me I know how insane that sounds. I can't even really totally explain it myself, but basically I found a recipe in an old book at my childhood house for immunity. The walkers, they've happened before. But it never got like this, it was always handled. This is the first time it's gotten so out of on control.

"I knew that if this recipe worked...then we could all breathe easier." Mollie glanced down at her hands, before back up at Michonne. "We lied to you. We didn't go to a plant nursery this morning. We left at three in the morning, and dove to the otherside of the state to where I grew up. There was a rare plant we needed for the recipe, one I knew was growing at home. So we went and got it. And when we came back, I made the mixture and he drank it before going out to find Siddiq. Without it..." She looked back at Carl. Most of the color had returned his face by now.

"You...you saved him?" Rick asked, his face aimed at the ground. "You saved my son?"

"I uh, yeah." Mollie nodded. "Yeah." Without warning, Rick moved over and hugged her. It surprised her, Carl and Michonne-enough to where the other two laughed lightly.

"I will never be able to thank you enough." Rick said as they pulled away. "Never."

"You don't have to." Mollie shook her head. "Knowing that the recipe worked...as long as the Saviors don't destroy that plant inside, I can grow more. And everything else is common around here. This could be everyone."

"Dad." Rick looked back at Carl. "We're gonna be okay."