07 | CHAPTER ONE

"Are you sure?" Mollie didn't know how many times she'd asked Carl if he was sure he really wanted to come with her. But each time he never got annoyed, she simply reassured her.

"Yeah, of course." He nodded, zipping up his bag. "I need to get out and see this new world sometime, don't I?" He asked. "Do you want me to come?"

"Of course!" She nodded quickly. "Of course I want you to come with me. The idea of not seeing you for who knows how long sucks, but like...I just...I don't want you to have to choose between me and your family." Carl sighed, walking over to where Mollie was sitting in the windowsill and taking one of her hands.

"Hey." He started softly. "You're not making me choose between anything. I'm going with you because I want to, not because I feel pressured to, okay? I don't need to live at home forever. I wanna get out there and see the other communities, and I wanna see it all with you. Besides, you can just think of me as your personal assistant if it makes you feel better-seeing as I'm sure that's what I'll be."

"Oh trust me, Maggie'll put you to work." They both laughed lightly. "Alright. I just wanted to make sure."

"I know." He nodded. "And I appreciate it." She let him pull her up, her free hand moving to the side of his neck as he pulled her in for a kiss.

"Alright, alright." She giggled, pulling away. "We gotta get going if we wanna get there before dark."

———

"Hey, is that Jesus?" Mollie looked up from her book, sure enough spotting Jesus riding a horse down the road towards them. Carl slowed to a stop and Jesus stopped next to them. "Hey Jesus."

"Hey guys." He smiled lightly. "I was just riding to Alexandria to come find you, Mollie."

"Why? What's up?" Mollie sat up, concern in her voice.

"Nothings wrong." Jesus assured. "But we got a request from Ezekiel today. Kingdom's gardens are looking rough again and he wanted your help. I figured it'd be easier to send you straight there than let you come to the Hilltop first."

"Oh, alright." Mollie couldn't help but be a little disappointed. She'd really been looking forward to seeing Maggie and Hershel again. But Ezekiel needed her, so Maggie would have to wait. "Thanks for the heads up, we'll head there first." Jesus nodded. "Are you heading straight back?"

"Nope, I've gotta make a trip over to the Sanctuary first." Jesus sighed. "But I'm going back home tomorrow. Need me to deliver a message or something?"

"Could you tell Maggie that I miss her and that I'm excited to see her?" Mollie asked. "I'm trying to ensure my return dinner is really good."

"Don't you worry on that front, Maggie's already got a plan." Jesus chuckled. "But I'll let her know. See you guys soon." With that they continued their separate ways, Jesus turning to cut through the woods to fast track his way to the Sanctuary and Carl beginning to drive down the road once again.

"You might need to give me directions." Carl spoke up. "I've only been to the Kingdom once."

"Oh, that's right." Mollie nodded lightly. "It's not hard, just keep going this way for a while. I'll tell you when to turn."

———

"Mollie!" Ezekiel stood up as Mollie and Carl entered the theater. "God, it's good to see you."

"You too!" Mollie smiled, moving a little quicker than Carl down the isle. She hurried up the steps and into Ezekiel's waiting arms, only to be crushed by Jerry hugging them both. "Can't breathe!" The men both laughed as they pulled away. "First things first, how's Nabila?" Mollie rounded on Jerry, looking up at him expectantly.

"Good, good." Jerry nodded nonchalantly. Shiva let a low growl rumble, and Ezekiel laughed. "Come on Shiva, not cool." Jerry sighed. "Fine. I've been thinking about asking her to marry me. Thinking! Alright, I don't have any plans or anything yet."

"Jerry!" Mollie gushed, pulling on his arm excitedly. "Oh my god, this is so great! I knew you two were perfect for each other. I totally knew it, all along."

"Yeah, yeah." Jerry tried to sound like he was brushing her off, but the ever increasing smile on his face was giving him away. "Hey dude!" Jerry called down to Carl, trying to get the attention of of him.

"Hey." Carl nodded back, too busy watching Shiva to pay much attention.

"Carl Grimes." Ezekiel's kingly voice caught his attention well enough. "To what does the realm owe the pleasure?"

"He came with me." Mollie spoke up, albeit shyly. "You don't have to do the whole King thing."

"What ever are you talking about?" Ezekiel joked, laughing as he saw the look on her face. "Alright, alright." He'd dropped the voice. "You're more than welcome, of course. We just don't often get visitors from Alexandria."

"I don't leave very often." Carl shrugged. He didn't know how much Mollie wanted to tell Ezekiel, how much she was ready to, so he didn't want to accidentally say something he shouldn't.

"Jerry, will you make sure someone gets a room made up for our guest?" Ezekiel turned back towards Jerry.

"Actually, um..." Mollie started, glancing over at her Carl before meeting Ezekiel's curious gaze. "You won't need to."

"And why is that?" Ezekiel raised his eyebrows, though he'd already known the answer to this question from the second the pair had come into the theatre.

"Carl and I...we're together now." Mollie breathed. "We have been for a few months." Mollie anxiously spit the words out, and even more anxiously waited to hear what Ezekiel's reaction would be. Ezekiel watched her for a moment, her heart beating out of her chest.

"A few months and you're already sharing a room?" Ezekiel joked. Mollie broke into a smile, hitting his arm while she let out an anxious breath.

"Shut up." She huffed. "Anyway, Jesus said the gardens weren't doing well?"

"Nah, that was a lie." Ezekiel chuckled. "I just wanted to see you." Shiva let out a small roar, making Carl jump. "We wanted to see you. And Henry, as well. He should be out training with Carol right now. How about you two go out your things away, and I'll gather Henry from the training grounds? We'll meet at the dining hall for dinner as a group."

"Okay, sounds good." Mollie nodded, moving past Ezekiel to give Shiva a few quick head pats before going down the stairs. "C'mon, let's go." She grabbed Carl's hand as she passed him, pulling him up the isle behind her.

"Jerry." Ezekiel said as he watched them go. "Could you deliver a message for me?"