nine

FEBRUARY

'Mommy...' Theo whines as he lies in the hospital bed and Demi sits by his side holding his hand.

'My tummy hurts.' Theo cries and Demi nods her head.

'I know, baby boy. The doctors and nurses are going to make you all better so, so soon.' Demi says using her free hand to run her fingers through his hair. She gently wipes the tears from his tears and bends down to kiss the top of his head. It's been a little over twenty-four hours since Theo was admitted into hospital with suspected appendicitis and they're still waiting on definitive answers.

'Knock knock...' A familiar voice says causing Demi to glance up at the room door.

'Look, it's Uncle Matthew... Oh my goodness, what is that he's got.' Demi says as Matthew makes his way into the room carrying a bag with a large 'Get Well Soon' balloon attached.

'Hi, buddy... Oh my, look at that little face. How are you doing?' Matthew asks making his way over to the bed.

'My tummy hurts.' Theo replies.

'Oh my... That's not any good, is it? That's why you're here though, isn't it? So that the doctors can make your tummy all better and you can be back at home.' Matthew says.

'Why don't you go downstairs and gey yourself something to eat?' Matthew suggests glancing at Demi who shakes her head.

'I'm not really hungry.' She replies shrugging her shoulders.

'You need to look after yourself as well, Dems. I've got this present here from me and Auntie Si so I will open that and you can go get something to eat or just stretch your legs.' He says gesturing to the door causing her to smile slightly.

'I'll be five minutes.' She replies. She kisses the top of Theo's head who smiles up at her.

'I be okay with Uncle Matthew, momma.' He says and she nods her head.

'I know you will, sweet boy. Mommy won't be long though.' She replies.

****

'How are you both doing?' Sirah asks causing Demi to sigh as she holds her phone to her ear and glances up at the sky.

'It's hard. I hate seeing him in this much pain, they're giving him pain killers but it isn't doing much for him. He spent most of last night just sobbing in my arms.' Demi replies.

'Hopefully you'll get answers soon. How are you feeling? When is your official test day supposed to be?'

'Tomorrow. I think I'm out though.'

'Why? What makes you think that?'

'Well the other day before I had to bring Theo in, I did a test. Well I did quite a few tests actually and they were all positive. They had such a strong line but I started bleeding this morning.'

'Oh Demi... I'm so sorry. Do you need anything? Do you want me to come see you?'

'No, I'm okay. I just- I need to focus on Theo right now and I'll deal with this later.'

MAY

'It's so big, momma!' Lottie says causing Demi to smile as they all look out at the huge Disney cruise ship.

'Isn't it?' Demi replies running her hand over Lottie's head as she adjusts Emily on her hip.

'Is Mickey Mouse really on there?' Theo asks and Demi nods her head.

'He is. Once the ship is getting ready to depart you'll be able to see him.' Demi replies.

'Can we wait and see if he comes out? Can we, mum?' Lottie asks.

'We could... Or we could just use our tickets and get on the ship? Spend the next five days with Mickey and his friends?' Demi suggests.

'W-What?' Theo says as they both glance up at Demi.

'Well we're not actually in Miami for our holiday. Our holiday is on the cruise with Mickey but we had to come here to board the ship.' Demi explains.

'A-Are Uncle Matthew and Auntie Si coming?' Lottie asks and Demi nods her head.

'We're all going.' Demi replies smiling.

****

'I can't believe just how much she's grown.' Matthew says as Emily bounces on his knee and squeals.

'I know. Isn't it crazy that she's nearly two? I don't know if it's because she's my last and I want her to stay tiny forever but I feel like I've blinked and suddenly she's toddling everywhere and being a proper little toddler instead of my baby.' Demi replies.

'Have you decided not to try again then? Is she definitely gonna be the last little Demi?' He asks as Demi watches Sirah playing in the pool with Lottie and Theo.

'I'll never say never but at the moment I think it's highly likely. I know how incredibly lucky I am to have my three beautiful, healthy babies... I want to make the most of traveling the world with them and giving them a childhood to remember.' She replies.

'I think that's a wise idea... Don't get me wrong I would have loved for you to have another baby but I hate seeing you going through the losses, I hate seeing you in that much pain.' Matthew admits and Demi smiles.

'I know. I would've loved another but I need to put the kids first and I don't want them to remember a childhood where mom was sad and poorly.' Demi replies shrugging her shoulders.

AUGUST

ddlovato: What a lovely birthday wake up by my babies

ddlovato: What a lovely birthday wake up by my babies... With a little help from some of my favorite people of course ❤ matthew_scott_montgomery sirahsays

****

'Have you had a good day, momma?' Theo asks cuddling into Demi's side as they sit on the sofa.

'I have baby boy. You have all made my birthday so incredibly special. I am so, so lucky to be your mama.' Demi replies smiling.

'Auntie Si and Uncle Matthew helped us.' Lottie says and Demi nods her head.

'I know but you two have still made my day so special with your gifts and that cake you made Auntie Si.' Demi replies as she kisses each of their heads.

'Mommy, do you think we'll have another baby?' Theo asks.

'I don't think so, sweetheart. I thought about it but I think we're just fine the four of us, aren't we?' Demi replies watching as Theo sighs.

'I wish I had a baby brother.' Theo says quietly.