Found

Prompt: "Take me instead, okay? Just, give her back, and take me instead."

Requested by: Yourmom4 (on Quotev)

Background: A couple of explorers from a wealthy country somehow found Encanto, and upon learning of the place's magic family, they selfishly desire to use the Miracle for their own needs.

Warnings: Angst (This oneshot in general ran from me, fr)

____________________

Leaning against the wall, you sigh, rubbing your forehead lightly as you wait for Camilo to return. Since explorers and such have been searching for the Madrigals, they've been hiding in a secret bunker under Casita. The moment outsiders realised the family had gifts, they never left, sending people out to search for them. Of course, this includes you since you're his girlfriend.

Upon hearing footsteps, you perk up, eyes searching the small corridor for the culprit. After a moment, the person comes into view, soon switching back into his normal self, causing a smile to grace your face.

"I got everything on the list."

You take a few of the bags he's carrying and walk along side him as you head to the main room where everyone really stays. "That's good." Suddenly, you frown, thinking of your mamá. Although you're afraid to ask, you can't help but let your curiosity get the better of you. "...Did you find the medicine?"

Camilo seems to hesitate, staying silent. That answers your question. You can't help but let a sigh slip past your lips. "Bonita, I'm sorry, I-"

"No, no. It's fine. I know you tried. It's an extremely rare medicine, I knew I shouldn't have hoped," you cut him off, offering a small, sad smile. The thought of not being able to find anything for her worries you and with each passing trip, you can't help but allow that doubt to grow more and more.

You don't notice that Camilo stopped walking until you feel him gently grab your wrist. He sets down the bags he's holding, tilting your chin up so you would look at him. Seeing your scared and fearful expression breaks his heart and even though he knows it isn't his fault, he still feels as if he could've tried harder to find it. To help your mother. To make you happy again, smile even.

"Mi amor..," he murmurs slowly wrapping his arms around you and resting his chin on top of your head. "It's okay. We'll find it. Don't worry."

His words affect you more than you would like, as you feel your eyes burn from holding back the tears. Continuing to force them back, you take in a deep, shaky breath, returning the embrace before giving him a smile and resuming your walk together. "I'm fine. I just... am worried, is all."

Though you don't glance at him, you don't have to in order to know he doesn't believe that. Regardless, he just nods, not wanting to upset you if you don't want to talk about it.

Soon enough, you both reach the main room, setting the bags of necessities on the table.

Pepa immediately springs up, engulfing Camilo in a tight hug. "Camilo, you're okay!"

You laugh as you watch the scene unfold, hearing Camilo grumble something about being fine into her arm. As he did, the thundering cloud that was hovering over Pepa's head finally dispersed, though the small peace never lasts long. Not with the situation that's going on.

Deciding to let them be, you slip out of the room and into another, where your mother is resting. She was given the nicest bed out of the two down here since she's not well. You quietly walk to her side, sitting down on a part of the bed and causing the comforter to dip, rousing your mama from her rest. She blinks tiredly before her eyes come to a stop on you. "Mi dulce hija," she smiles at you, as you reach for her hand, gently holding within your own.