Verdadera Voz

Prompt: "But I want to hear you sing."

        Requested by: Kiwi_KitKat (On Ao3)

        Warnings: Fluff

        Humming to yourself, you lightly wipe the counters off. Having stayed at Casita with your friend, Luisa, you woke up in the middle of the night, unable to go back to sleep. With nothing better to do, you had started wandering around, not wanting to rouse Luisa from her sleep. Not that you probably could do so easily anyways. Unlike Mirabel, she's not a light sleeper. Eventually, you had decided to help Señora Julieta by cleaning up around the kitchen and dining room.

        "Fly me to the moon..."

        The soft hum of your voice gradually became singing. After all, you were alone; no one in their right mind would be up at this hour. Well, except Bruno probably.

        "and let me dance among the stars."

        Setting aside the rag, you reach for the broom and sweep away the dirt that had been tracked in during the previous day.

        "Let me see what spring is like on-a Jupiter and Mars...

        "In other words... hold my hand.

        "In other words... darling, kiss me."

        As you sweep, you sigh, leaning heavily against the broom. Your gaze shifts upward, meeting the night sky. It's beautiful.

        Where you used to live the stars were never bright. Well, they were, but the air was never clear enough. But here in Encanto, the stars burn, twinkling everywhere you look. The sight is enough to draw you towards the window, setting aside the broom momentarily just to admire the night sky.

        "Fill my heart with song... and let me sing forever more."

        Again, your voice lifts up, fogging the window pane from how close you stand.

        "You are all I long for, all I worship and adore.

        "In other words... please be true.

        "In other words... I love you."

        Shifting your weight, you back away from the glass, going back to sweeping the floor. As you do, you hum the first part of the song once more, subconsciously moving the broom along to the timing of your words.

        "Fill my heart with song... and let me sing forever more.

        "You are all I long for, all I worship and adore."

        You reach for the dustpan and finish sweeping the rest of the dining room.

        "In other words... please be true.

        "In other words... in other words... in other words... I love you."

        As you finish the song, another sigh slips past your lips. You stare at the ground for a moment until finally moving. Just as you do, someone begins clapping, causing you to jolt, dropping the broom to the ground rather loudly. Cringing, you turn around to find Camilo standing by the threshold, a soft smile growing on his face.

        "You sound so good, hermosa!"

        An awkward silence fills the room. Your body refuses to move, completely tense as you can't help but stare at him in embarrassment.