chapter nine

It felt like déjà vu to Karina upon seeing her father and sister in the same room with her. This was what happened with her mother as well, them entering her hospital room, waiting for her to gain conciousness. Typical mother and daughter bonding.

The only difference was that, Karina didn't appreciate seeing them there. Neither did she even want them to be there.

Karina woke up, only to be greeted by two people she never thought who'd be there during at times like this. It turns out that Irene followed Karina after she stormed out of the bar and saw how her car drowned in the water. She swam in it and saw a lifeless Karina, she then motioned her arms above to swim towards the surface.

She had a hard time doing that because Karina was taller than her and her height didn't even reach the younger's shoulders but she was successful with it. Irene called the ambulance to come and get them there. Thankfully, they arrived quickly. After that, she called her father about Karina and that leads them to where they are now.

A conscious Karina staring at the two of them while they hung their head low and try not to make eye contact with her. It was very awkward.

Faking a cough, their father tried to catch their attention and it worked. Irene and Karina's heads turned to him the moment he coughed. "How are you feeling, Karina?" Her father asked. She stayed still, not speaking and only looking at him, rage in her eyes. "I guess I'm fine." She replies.

"Why did you follow me though?" Karina then asked Irene who was nervously fidgeting her fingers. "I wanted to say sorry, f-for everything that I did..to you and to your mom. I loved you Karina, I really did. I just didn't know how to show it." Irene blabbers out of nervousness.

Irene's words were true.

She might've been strict, physically and mentally hurting Karina, it was true that she treasures her younger sister. She just didn't know how to show it to her and because she was scared, she showed her love towards Karina in a way she didn't appreciate.

Karina sighed, "This isn't even near the ending and you're apologizing? What is this? Your redemption arc?" Her father's mouth lets out a small chuckle and there was a small smile formed in Irene's lips. "I never thought I'd say this but I think I'm forgiving you because mom wouldn't want to see me hold any grudge against you plus you saved me and my overly expensive dress so you're forgiven."

The thing that her mom taught was to always forgive other people especially when they seem really sincere with their apologies. Karina thought that it was absurd because she believes that sometimes they don't really deserve to be forgiven but when Minjeong apologized to her that day, she knew she had forgiven her in a heartbeat.

That was Karina's heart. Broken and bruised yet it was still gentle and kind.

Without saying anything, Irene lunged herself towards Karina and gave her the tightest hug. The younger swore she was about to get choked to death. "Eonnie, that's too tight!" She and Irene bursted out laughing and finally pulled away from the hug.

Her father was just staring at the two of them, happy that her daughters are finally getting along well with each other after years of hatred. He tried to be a good father, a good husband yet he really didn't know how so he ended up hurting everyone.

Including the person who showed him that life was truly worth living, Karina's mom. She was beautiful, just like Karina.

A single tear falls out from his eyes and rolls onto his cheek. He had done bad things that could never be forgiven yet his wife understood him everytime. The day she died was the day something inside him shattered.