Chapter 3

I woke up to Pansy hitting me with a pillow, "Wake up loser, I brought you breakfast". I groaned and sat up in my bed. I wiped the drool off my face and looked at the alarm. 8:34.

    "What the hell Pansy, why didn't you wake me up before breakfast." I panicked searching around for my uniform. "We are both late her herbology again."

    "Relax girl it's Saturday," she giggled as she tied her combat boots, "I'm gonna be in Hogsmeade with a friend for a few hours so I'll see you later."

Pansy had great style. I hated to say it but she really did. She had a black long sleeve, green pleated skirt, sheer tights, and her little pigtails she made from her short black hair.

    "Who all is going, I could get ready pretty fast." I stood up grabbing my quidditch crewneck out of my dirty clothes pile.

     "You wouldn't know them, umm actually just some first years." I knew she was lying. I mean I'm not stupid. First-years can't go to Hogsmeade. But I just shrugged and said my goodbye as she skipped out the door all peachy like a baby deer.

I put my weekend clothes on. Typically just sweats and a sweatshirt. Sometimes I like to dress up a bit but today was not one of those days. I at least had the energy to put on some blush and mascara. I pulled my hair into a bun to keep it out of my face.

I'm not gonna lie. Even though I have no one to impress, I feel like I have to impress everyone. One layer of mascara turns into two. Two turns into four. Next, you look like a Barbie doll. It's hard to not care what other people think. I mean, I'm not ugly. I'm just not confident enough to feel pretty.

I looked at myself in the mirror for god knows how long before grabbing my tote bag and headphones and walking out of the dormitories.

***

I often find it difficult to study in the dorms. I'm much more of an outside person. During weekends I hang out with Pansy, Blaise, Crab, Goyle, and ugh, Malfoy. The only person I can really stand in that group is Blaise. I guess Pansy has been a little nicer lately too. Which is weird.

I like to be by myself a lot. I think I would be classified as an introvert. Not because I don't like people but because I get my energy from being by myself. being alone by myself feels a lot better than being alone in a room full of people. My favorite place to be by myself is the astronomy tower. It's perfect cause it's popular at night but practically abandoned during the day. 

The view of the black lake was beautiful. The seaweed made the water a green tint that shimmered in the autumn sun.

    "Nice view huh", I swing around dropping my journal in the process.

    "Jesus Malfoy you scared the shit out of me" I spoke with annoyance.

    "Sorry that wasn't my intention" he carried out the Y to prove it wasn't a genuine apology.

    "Why do you always happen to be wherever I am," I said under my breath

I stepped forward to get my journal but as I'm bending down to grab it my head endears a throbbing pain. I look up to lock eyes with the pesty blonde. His left hand is on his head and his right holding my journal.

I quickly grabbed it out of his hands. I could never let anyone read that book. It's not like I have a big secret in there, it's just personal.

    "God Penelope watch your big head" he winced rubbing where I assume he had a bump like mine.

    "You're one to talk Malfoy, or did you forget your such an airhead" I mock back grabbing my things and putting them in my tote.

    "Surely you are the only one who thinks I'm full of myself, I like to think of myself as quite humble" After that, I just looked up at him with the "Really?" look. Then his face drops like he finally realized something he said for once.

I decide I'm not in the mood for his shenanigans and walk past him toward the stairs.

    "Where are you going," he asks with a genuine voice.

Without stopping I answer him, "away from you."

    "Look I don't know why you hate me so much but everyone else is busy and I have no one to hang out with. Surely there is something we could do that you wouldn't hate." He follows me to the edge of the steps.

I swing around with a stern look on my face. I was so annoyed with his pestering at the moment that I snapped.

    "Look Malfoy, I'm not interested in hanging out with you. The only reason I stay around is cause you are friends with Pansy and Blaise. Who are both currently in Hogsmeade with different people. I would rather go into the forbidden forest at night than hang out with you alone. All you ever do is bring people down and I'm not gonna put up with it so if you don't mind, I'm gonna go study by the lake." I take a breath before continuing, "by myself!"

And that was that. I walked down the steps without looking back at him. I didn't hear his footsteps following behind me or his snarky words back talking to me. But I could feel his stare as I turned the corner at the bottom of the steps out of his sight.

***

I met with Pansy before dinner. She got back from her trip a few hours beforehand and has been in a great mood since. I really like her like this. I'm not sure what's making her so happy but I'm glad she is.

    "What did you do today?" She asked me while changing her clothes, again.

    "I was studying in the astronomy tower but then Malfoy came to bother me with his sad lonely sob story, so I told him off and sat by the lake for a few hours" Pansy cut me off.

    "You left Malfoy by himself for 9 hours?" She seemed concerned.

    "Yeah, I didn't want to hang out with him, you know we don't get along Pansy." I put my journal under my pillow and slip on my shoes.

    "I know you don't like Draco but he's going through some things and he just needs someone he can relate to Penelope."

    "Relate to?" That's offensive, "We are nothing alike. He's snobby and cares about no one but himself."

    "You only say that 'cause you don't know him like I do. You've always distanced yourself from him and he's tried so hard for so long to be your friend Penelope. If you just gave him a chance you'd realize- " I cut her off.

    "No maybe if you saw through him like I did you'd realize he only likes you 'cause you are, in quotes, hot." I didn't mean to get snappy with her but she needed to know the truth.

This didn't get the reaction I expected. She just let out a little giggle.

"Oh, that's what he told you?" She laughed again, "What a prick. I'll see you at dinner when you calmed down ok?" And just like that she walked out and left me standing there unbelievably confused.