chapter ten: assemble

(Y/N) pov

I open my eyes "Green arrow!...(Y/N)!" Natasha yells as she helps me to my feet "I'm fine...thanks" I say as we leave the quinjet and fan out outside grand central station as the Chitauri army fly overhead attacking anything "we need to start containing this" I say before taking cover next to Nat behind a taxi "he's right a lot of civilians are about to be caught in the crossfire" Steve says "hold this position!" he shouts before jumping off the bridge as I peak out from cover and manage to take out one of the Chitauri whilst Nat fires her guns at the ones closer in range.  As the Chitauri begin to flank us Clint and I go back to back and start taking out as many as possible "this is like Budapest all over again!" Nat shouts over the sounds of her gun firing "you and I remember Budapest very differently" Clint says "I'm not even gonna ask" I say before firing two arrows into Chitauri soldiers.

Eventually the waves of Chitauri come too close for my bow so I resort to hitting my bow against the head of one and then driving one of my arrows through its throat whilst Nat and Clint fight off their end as the explosions and screams grow louder and more frequent, one of the Chitauri manages to grab me by the neck and slams me against a car and to escape its grip I quickly trap it in an arm bar and I apply enough force to snap its arm allowing me to escape where I then proceed to tackle it to the ground and slam two arrows into its chest.  Once I get up I notice Steve fighting alongside Clint and Nat just as Thor arrives on the scene "what's the story upstairs?" Steve asks the God of thunder "the cube's defenses are impenetrable" he says "so how do we stop it?" Steve asks but before anyone can suggest a plan our heads turn in the direction of Bruce Banner arriving on a moped "sorry I'm late" he says "only just" I say as I look around "so...this is pretty horrifying" he says as he surveys the war zone that New York has become "we've seen worse" Nat says as she looks at me "uh yeah sorry about that" he says as he looks down slightly "no no we could do with a little worse right now" she adds.

A distant roar can be heard "guys get ready I'm bringing the party to you" Tony says over the comms, we all prepare ourselves as Tony flies around a building only for a giant....worm to crash through it and follow him towards us "I..I don't see how that's a party" nat says in shock "not the worse one I've been to" I say as I watch "Dr Banner now might be a really good time for you to get angry" Steve says as Bruce starts walking away from the group "that's my secret cap" he replies before turning his head to us "I'm always angry" he adds as he turns back and grows in size and his skin changes green until the fully formed hulk appears and stops the flying alien with a straight right punch causing it to slow down as Tony blows the rest of it up.  I quickly dust myself off and as a large wave of Chitauri surround us we form a circle as the invaders growl and scream hulk let's out a roar,  "okay since we can't close the portal the best we can do is control where they go Stark you take out the ones in the air, if they get further than ten blocks turn them back or turn them to ash.  (Y/N), Clint I need you to up on the rooftops taking out stragglers and calling out patterns" he says to which I respond with a nod "need a lift?" Tony offers "I'll make my own way" I say "I'll take it" Clint says as he walks up to Tony "better clench up Legolas" Tony replies before flying up with Clint "oh so I get called Robin hood but he gets called legolas" I say to myself as I fire a line up to the roof.