SEVEN - LAST MINUTE PLANS

Two weeks had passed since Dangerous had been put down and Charlie had still been unnervingly cold towards his father, despite his small efforts to console his son.

Thomas wasn't around in the home too often but when he was, he did his best to spend time with his son, whatever his best was. Every other waking hour of Charlie's day was spent as Blair's side, the two of them being practically inseparable.

What Thomas had told Blair about Charlie thinking she reminded him of his mother had played on her mind ever since finding out. It was a compliment, at least the young woman chose to take it as one from the boy, but knowing that Thomas had abandoned their love for a woman that was seemingly so like herself, also felt like a kick in the teeth.

Blair had managed to gather all of her belongings from down in Coventry and move herself fully into the Shelby manor by then, only visiting the nearby city every couple of weeks to sit by her husband's grave. There was a heavy conscience that had been weighing Blair down since moving away, feeling like she'd neglected her husband and their past by deciding to have a fresh start. It wasn't like she was pretending her life before Jamie's passing never happened, but she was certainly trying to heal the wounds of her past by leaving Coventry. Only now, even in a new place, Blair's past had still found a way to catch up with her.

"Tom! Tom? We're gonna be late if you don't hurry the fuck up!"

Blair put a hold on tiding away Charlie's toys in the playroom when she heard a familiar voice coming from the hallway, an echo of the heavy front door slamming closed and a light breeze that had managed to creep in a few stray leaves.

She ran a hand through her hair and rose to her feet, twisting round the hem of her white sundress before wandering out into the hallway with a curious yet reserved smile on her face.

"He's upstairs, he won't hear you from down here."

"Blair? Am I dreaming? Is that really you?"

Her smile grew and her eyes gleamed bright, shrugging her shoulders with her hands held up shyly.

Arthur Shelby couldn't remember the last time he smiled, but it certainly felt wonderful to do so at the sight of Blair. She hadn't changed at all, so he thought, her light skin and golden hair made her look like an angel, which is exactly what she was.

"It's me," she said with a small laugh, "It's so good to see you, Arthur."

"God, look at you, ey?" He walked over to her with his arms outstretched, "Come here, you."

Tommy had always been a heavily family-oriented man, and Blair had discovered that from the start of their relationship. She adored the way he loved his family and how close he was with his siblings, reminding her of how she was with her own family growing up. Arthur took a particular shine to Blair, knowing in his gut that she was good for his brother. It wasn't often that he saw Tommy look happy, but there was never a time he'd look miserable when Blair was around. Arthur never thought the two of them would come to and end, at least not the way they did, and part of him resented Tommy for the way he'd treated Blair in the end, but no matter what he said, there was no changing his mind.

"What are you doing here?"

"I work here now, I'm a live-in teacher for Charlie. And no, before you ask, I had no idea that your brother was the employer when I applied for the job."

Arthur folded his arms at his chest, shaking his head in disbelief as he looked Blair up and down, still unable to fathom that she was stood before him again after so long.

"Well, that little boy is very lucky to have you, I'll tell you that. You married?" He asked, looking down at the ring on her finger.

"Widowed, actually. Since the war."