Chapter 8: The Bet

That night I was not able to sleep. Yet again I tossed and turned thinking about Bucky. Why why why? I didn't like him, but I guess my body did? Like, I was physically attracted to him, but I still knew how much of an asshole he can be sometimes. And yet... ugh. After what felt like an eternity, I decided to get up. This can't go on forever... I looked out my window to see the busy streets of New York. New York never sleeps, I should know. After all, I grew up here. But tonight it seemed even busier as it usually does.

Suddenly, a soft knock on my door pulled me out of my thoughts. Who could possibly want to talk to me this late at night? I threw over a hoodie and clenched my right hand up to a fist, ready to punch someone or even use my powers to throw something at the potential intruder, but when I opened the door, it was just Bucky. I sighed and relaxed my hand while looking up and down. Bucky was wearing dark boxers and a white T-shirt and his hair looked really messy.

„What are you doing here?" I asked and looked at Bucky. He rubbed the back of his head and then said „I... uhm... I can't sleep"

„Oh did your first R-rated movie scare you?" I chuckled. „Wimp."

Bucky rolled with his eyes, but smiled. „Ha ha. Very funny. This was NOT the first time I watched an r rated movie. And why would a movie about... why would that movie scare me? It's not like I haven't seen anything like that before."

I just raised my eyebrow at him.

„What?" he asked.

„Why are you here, Buck?" I asked.

„I wanted to see if you're awake and talk to you."

„What made you think I'd be awake this late?"

„I don't know, I just had a feeling. And you are, aren't you?"

I sighed. „Ok... come in"

„Thank you" he said and entered my room. I walked past him and sat down on my bed, and crawled under my blanket because I was starting freeze, even though I had just put on a hoodie. Bucky on the other hand just stood there and it seemed like he was a bit nervous.

„Just sit on the bed Bucky. We had to sleep in the same bed, I think we should be past the being nervous when it comes to sitting on a bed to talk."

After Bucky sat down, I asked him why he couldn't sleep.

„I just have a lot on my mind."

„Me too, to be quite honest...Bucky, can we maybe talk about earlier?"

„Oh uhm, sure"

„I..." I started, but I stopped. I didn't want to admit to him that I felt attracted to him yet... it just... no. „Why does this keep happening?"

I saw Bucky gulp slightly. This topic was making him just as nervous as it made me. „I don't know. I just... I feel like I physically can't stay away from you" he whispered and looked down. „This might sound weird and I really don't want to come off as rude but... I don't feel about you that way emotionally, I think, but it's like... I feel...." It seemed like this was just as hard for him as it was for me.

„Physically attracted to me? And like something is drawing you to me?" I whispered. Bucky looked up with slight confusion in his face. „Me too, Bucky" I said in a normal voice. „I know you can be an asshole, but I just... I don't know how long I can stay away from you."

Bucky chuckled. „That makes two of us. But I'm sure I can stay away from you longer!" He said and winked at me.

„Ohh are we getting competitive now?" I wondered and raised an eyebrow.