_*Ten (2007.8)

The Middletons were still devastated by the delay of their daughter's wedding. They felt that the royal firm didn't like the child Adelaide and didn't plan on her and William's union in the first place. Although common sense told them that this was absolutely untrue, subconsciously, the thought still remained in their minds.

They needed to make Adelaide more compatible with the royal family. They need to change the poor girl. Carole decided to teach her barely 10 months old granddaughter how to read and write. The appropriate age to learn these is 3. While Micheal started teaching her some words and sentences in French. The common age for a child to learn a second language is 7. They need to make Adelaide a prodigy.

Obviously, this cannot be done in front of Adelaide's papa William, because he will wholeheartedly disagree. He just wants Adelaide to be happy.

Once upon a time, there was an old man who tried to make a small tree sprout grow. He was very anxious. He pulled it, trying to make it grow taller, but actually, it damaged its roots and the sprout died shortly after.

The Middletons are doing to Adelaide what the old man did to the tree sprout. While Adelaide might be learning quite a lot now, later she is to suffer the consequences.

Kate is doing the same thing as her parents, but her incentive was a bit different.
Kate had the notion that Her Majesty only cared for Adelaide because she was the youngest. As you all know, Sophie is pregnant, and soon to give birth to a baby boy in December. This means that Adelaide is no longer the youngest anymore, thus Her Majesty now has no reason to like Adelaide anymore. Kate obviously ain't gonna let this happen, she needs to create an incentive for the Queen to like her daughter, at all cost. Period. At this point in time, she and her daughter's place and respect in the firm is close if not entirely intertwined together. 

_

Our society and 95% of the people in it operate on the basis of an expectation for others and for themselves. This is why we have such a whole load of pressure surrounding turning 30, for example. We expect you to have a stable job, stable marriage, and a child coming. 

The same thing goes for children, we expect them to know the four operations by grade 4, and calculus by grade 12. And if you are ahead of your time, you are named a prodigy. Having a beautiful family and earning good money by the age of 23, or mastering calculus by grade 4, for example.

When you are the youngest, like our barely 10-month-old Delly, our society does not pressure you to do anything. We just expect you to be happy, that's all. But as you grow up, you experience social pressures such as peer pressure. The things that matter about, and maybe even matter much much more to others change from your happiness and well-being to your standardized achievements.

In Kate's mind, the manifestations of societal expectations of someone are represented by the Queen. The "someone" is Adelaide. And the "standardized achievements" are what she is going to change about Adelaide to make her more likable to the Queen, or moreover, "societal expectations".

A 10-month-old baby realized or is forced to realize that she has passed the short stage of pursuing pure happiness at the very very beginning of her life to the stage of the rest of her life when she needs to fulfill the duties and expectations of the firm and society.
Sometimes, we thank the baby in Sophie's stomach, because it indirectly caused our Delly to be a prodigy; there are more times, however, when we think if the baby could be born just a few months later that Delly would've been able to have at least a few months more of the "period of persuing pure happiness" of her life. 

In other words, Delly's not a baby anymore...

_

Prince William and Adelaide on the family's lawn in August ^

How do you all like my edit? ;) This was quite an important chapter.