_*Twenty-Four (2009.4)

It's April, and it's the Queen's birthday. Uncle Harry came back, and it seems that Delly is going to have a good time. However, there's been only one thing on her mind lately, her Mumma and Papa.

If they'd love each other, why are they not married. If they love me, why are they not married.

Delly felt that her Gran-Gran was the only one who could answer that question. So, she wasn't shy to bring it up on a playdate one afternoon at the Palace. That day, William was on some engagement, so Delly came with her Mumma.

After some time, they decided to go out for a little stroll. Delly wanted to wait for her Papa so they could go together.

"Delly, Papa is at work right now," explained Kate, "he can't just fly here you know."

"Mumma could go help him!" Delly said, "Sharing is caring!"

"C'mon Mumma, go help, so Papa can come earlier!"

Kate was almost convinced that she should go but realizing her position within the family (as a girlfriend with a 3-year-old daughter) at this moment, especially with the matriarch right beside her, she said, "Darling, I can't..."

Well, obviously she cannot. She is not officially a part of the family yet. And neither is Delly.

"Why Mumma? Why!" seeing Kate didn't want to answer, she turned to her Gran-Gran, "Gran-Gran, why?"

"Oh Lissybette, you can't."

Delly heard it. She can't. The second her Gran-Gran finished those words, and before she could start to explain anything more, Delly had already made up (or rather, validated) her guess that she wasn't loved, can't go outside, can't live a normal life, because her Mumma and Papa are not married.

Delly didn't hear the explanations her Gran-Gran gave after she said "you can't". Her Gran-Gran talked about how she's too young, how her Papa is perfectly able to work himself etc etc etc. To be frank, Delly didn't care. She believed what she wanted to believe. Which is that she isn't loved. Not by this silver-haired woman who held her onto her lap. Not by the brown-haired woman sitting beside them.

Whether that belief was true or not doesn't matter. What matters is that, in the many years after that, in the years that would shape Delly as a person, she believed in that. And it affected her growth a lot. Delly never told anyone about her feelings about not being loved by her family, mainly because there was never an environment to open up.

Though the problem started with 3-year-old Adelaide's misunderstanding of her family, without a supportive environment to talk it out, she didn't, at least, not for a long long time. (foreshadowing)

_

The Queen settled down on the edge of the bed. Philip is already half asleep. William returned from work eventually and the family of three had dinner with the couple, then they went back.

The Queen lay down on the bed, beside her husband. She tried to sleep. But she cannot. Every time she closes her eyes, a miniature of Delly would run through her mind. She thought about how Delly looked when she was a baby, how she'd told her about William the Conquerer, how she saw Delly and Philip talking in the garden, and how Delly's eyes looked this afternoon when she'd told her, "you can't".

As a mother of 4, and a grandmother of 8, she knows children very well. She can see that Delly didn't like what she said. She understands that Delly felt unloved. However, she doesn't know how to show Delly that she is, in fact, loved. Then, she thought, what if, just what if, Kate and William were married?

"Philip."

"Sleepin'"

"Philip."

"Sleepin!"

"Philip!"

"Yes...Yes!"

"What if, they are married?"

_____

____

Did any of you watch the Jubilee celebrations? I LOVE them! Especially the first balcony with Louis + the "We will we will rock you!" song. You?

The Queen is just a legend.

Irey