Rule 12: Make Sure Your Goop Boi Doesn't Internalize His Issues

Nightmare landed in Witchtale, smiling softly to himself as he drank in the familiar sights. He and his brother had visited this AU as often as they reasonably could. The magic, the people, and even just the aesthetic were something they both loved. It took a lot to get him and Shattered to agree on anything, but witchcraft was one of the things they both excelled at.

Honestly, Nightmare found it strange that so little people knew witchcraft. Spells were so much more practical than raw magic, and yet even most Sanses only knew the most rudimentary rune drawings, let alone actual spells or potions. At least Witchtale Sans- his nickname was Warlock- was an expert, and a relatively good friend. They weren't the closest of pals (Shattered and Warlock, on the other hand, were a terrifying duo), but they enjoyed each other's company more often than not.

Today, however, Nightmare didn't see Warlock. Nor did he see Toriel, Papyrus, Frisk, or any of his other Witchtale acquaintances. There were quite a few humans around, as well as some monsters, and like usual magic was flying around the air in bursts, as spell demonstrations and cornerside shows played on to attract customers. Paper airplanes- enchanted letters that were the mail system in this AU- drifted around until they found their receiver. Some moved fast, showing urgency, and some moved slow, but they all eventually hit their target.

As Nightmare walked through the streets, looking around for any sign of Warlock and related parties, he noticed a distinct change in the rhythm of the streets. Onlookers saw him and faltered, magic demonstrations missing a few beats before continuing. People started whispering, and he caught the words King and Negativity repeated.

Seriously? Here as well? Even in the most practical-minded of AU's, people were caught up in rumor spreading and (most likely) false information. Was it like that anywhere he went? People in this AU knew him. Not knew of him, they knew him personally. And yet the second he had a label, everyone shunned him because of that label.

Nightmare sighed. At this point he might as well leave, but he needed supplies to renew Cross' demon seal. Plus, at this rate he'd use enough magic on healing to fill up a castle before the year was out, so maybe a potion to boost magic stores as well? Or simple healing potions, although that might only be a short term solution. But a healing focus might both be more beneficial and more time saving in the long run, so-

"Ah, my old friend!"

Nightmare blinked, coming back out of his thoughts in time to be lifted off his feet and engulfed in a rib-crushing bear hug.

"It's been a long time since I've seen you around these parts, friend!"

"Sage, I can't- breathe-" Nightmare choked out. Immediately, the skeleton set him down, still grinning widely. Despite himself, a smile tugged at Mare's mouth. Of course Papyrus- his nickname was Sage, which was ironically accurate- didn't care about any rumors or intimidating titles. A friend was a friend, and as long as they tried to be a good person, Sage would accept them.

"I apologize, Nightmare! It's just been way too long since you've visited!" Sage said. "I should have expected you'd come back, though! After all, no one can resist the Talented Sage's charisma for long!"

Mare chuckled. "Yeah, that's definitely true. Uh... do you know where Warlock is, though...?"

"Right here, pal."

"Holy sh-" Nightmare cut himself off as he spun around to see the shorter skeleton standing next to him. "Don't do that!"

"You still jump at that?" Warlock asked. "I'd thought you'd be used to shortcuts by now."

"I am- I just- don't have practice with deliberate jumpscares," Mare said, somewhat stiffly.

"Ah, that's right! You're pretty much a social virgin, aren't you?" Warlock laughed. "Honestly, you barely ever said a word without your brother around to lead the conversation." He paused, thinking. "Actually, it's been a while since I've seen either of you two around. Didja forget about ol' Warlock in your multiversal adventures?"