Rule 15: A Heart-To-Heart is Very Healthy to Have Every Once in a While

Cross watched Nightmare and Dust disappear into a puddle of goop, heading off to Killertale. The monochromatic skeleton couldn't help but notice the slight extra slouch in Mare's posture, the shadow under his eye, the small hesitation in processing information and events. He'd used so much magic that now he was struggling to stay awake, let alone travel to an unknown AU. Based on the name, Cross was willing to bet it wouldn't be friendly.

He sighed, sitting back and folding his arms over his chest as he glanced at Horror's movie. It distracted him for a moment, but invariably Cross' thoughts turned back to Nightmare and his less-than-ideal state. Maybe I should have gone with him, he thought, then dismissed the idea. Mare would have sooner slapped him over the head than let Cross be concerned for his safety.

At least Dust had gone with him. But that was almost as concerning. The fact that the one who never took an interest in the situation had noticed Mare's state spoke volumes in itself. If Dust could see that Nightmare was pushing himself too hard, it must be obvious, right? And besides that, it was just the fact that Dust had gone with Mare alone. Cross like the hooded skeleton and trusted him to protect Nightmare to the best of his ability. But Dust didn't have the skillset to analyze a situation and know when to pull back or give up. He would just keep going unless the threat was neutralized or he himself collapsed from exhaustion. That, coupled with the fact that Mare was almost exhausted himself, was the reason Cross couldn't think about anything else. He was worried, goddamn it!

"You know, they'll be fine," Horror said. Cross looked at him. "Mare isn't going to do anything stupid, and he won't let Dust get hurt either. You don't have to be so anxious."

"Wh- anxious? I'm not anxious!" Cross lied.

Horror paused his movie and looked at the monochromatic skeleton flatly. "Cross, if you bounce your leg any faster you're going to end up shaking the entire castle. I can tell you're worried, and I can tell you that you're worrying over nothing."

With a start, Cross realized that he had been anxiously bouncing his leg. With a bit of effort he stopped himself, but within a minute he'd started anxiously tapping his leg with his index finger.

Horror put a hand on his to stop him. "They'll be fine, Cross. Nightmare can take care of himself. Even if someone as big and strong as you isn't there to protect them," He added with a smile.

Cross didn't smile back, instead tapping his foot as his thoughts turned from worry to anxiety over the conversation he wanted to have with Horror. He wanted to talk about X-tale. He didn't want it to stay a secret forever. But he worried that if he did tell him, Horror would start to see him in a different light. He didn't want to be treated like a murderer. But then, isn't that what he deserved?

No. Nightmare didn't care, and Cross had a feeling the goopy skeleton knew exactly what he'd done, or at least had a general suspicion. And they all still cared about Dust (the hooded skeleton hadn't exactly talked about Dusttale, but it was pretty obvious what had gone down). So Horror wouldn't see him as any different, would he?

Cross could almost hear Chara laughing at him for such a stupidly optimistic thought. But Chara's opinion no longer mattered to him. The kid didn't control him anymore. He wanted to tell Horror his story. Not because someone else told him to, but because he himself wanted it.

"Horror," He said with a firmness that surprised even himself. "We need to talk."

"We seem to be doing that already," Horror remarked. He caught Cross' expression and became serious. "Okay... not a joking situation. What d'ya want to talk about?"

"X-tale."

Horror blinked in surprise, his smile faltering. "You- Are you sure? That's a... big jump, buddy."