Log Entry: 17

The Omaticaya people lift their voices in a song filled with tragic loss and yearning for deliverance

The Omaticaya people lift their voices in a song filled with tragic loss and yearning for deliverance. Neytiri was singing as a shadow crossed her face. She looks up, and her eyes go wide as a terrible cry echoes, turning all eyes skyward. An enormous shadow covers the crowd as Toruk comes out of the sun, beating its huge wings to slow its descent. Its crimson and black wings, backlit by the sun, seem to glow from within. The People cry out in alarm and scatter as the dreaded beast alights in their midst. Nyami prepares her blades for a fight. And that's when she sees Jake, riding high on its shoulders, plugged-in to its antenna. It folds its wings and stands calmly amid the paralyzed Na'vi.

Toruk lowers its body. They stare in awe and stroke the magnificent animal's flank.
Neytiri, Tsu'tey, and Mo'at watch, stunned as the legendary Rider of Last Shadow walks toward them.
"Toruk Macto." Neytiri mutters. She raises her arms. "Toruk Macto!" She shouts.
Jake dismounts in the same amazement as them. On the faces of the Omaticaya, new hope was dawning in their eyes. Whispers flowed among them, the words repeated Toruk Macto... Toruk Macto.

Jake walks through the crowd, straight to Neytiri at the foot of the dais. He looks into her enormous eyes, and the emotion between them is powerful and pure.
"I See you." Neytiri greets him.
Jake responds in a hoarse whisper, "I See you."
Neytiri's eyes brim with tears.
"I was afraid Jake, for my people. I'm not any more."
Jake takes Neytiri's hand and climbs the steps of the dais.

Mo'at steps back in awe as he approaches. He turns to Tsu'tey, who stares at him with fear and incomprehension. Jake plays to the rapt crowd as he says "Tsu'tey of the Rongloa, son of Ateyo. I stand before you, ready to serve the People." Jake turns to only Tsu'tey. "You are Olo'eyctan, and you are the best warrior. I can't do this without you."
Tsu'tey struggles with his emotions. Tsu'tey hesitates. Nyami walked to him and grabbed his hand. Tsu'tey looked down at her, the anger leaving him. Tsu'tey turns to Jake.
"I will fly with you." Tsu'tey agrees. Nyami smiles. Jake turns to Mo'at.
"Grace is dying. I beg the help of the Ireiyo. Great Mother."
"I have promised my help to Nyami. Bring her, Jakesully."

Avatar Jake carries someone in his arms like a child. Jake, followed by Nyami, who carries Grace's human body, lightly walks through the crowd carrying Grace's avatar.
"Look where we are, Grace." Nyami whispered to human Grace in her arms. Her eyes flutter open. She looks up wonderingly at the Mother Tree.
Grace wears a wan smile. "I need to take some samples."
Mo'at directs them to lay both bodies among the roots on the altar-rock. Mo'at touches Nyami's shoulder and she steps back.
"The Great Mother may choose to save all that she is-" Mo'at's hand indicates Grace's avatar, "in this body."
Nyami realizes the enormity of what she's saying.
"Is that possible?" She asks.
"Possible, yes. She must pass through the Eye of Eywa and return. But Nyami, she is very weak." Nyami kneels next to Grace, taking her tiny human hand in her avatar hand.
"Hang on, they're gonna fix you up." Grace is barely conscious. She grips her hand.
"I, always held back. But you gave them your heart. I'm proud of you, Nyami. And Jake." Nyami feels his throat close with emotion.
Grace's eyes blaze with intensity though her voice is faint. "Help them. You do whatever it takes. You hear me?"
"I will." Nyami promises. Mo'at stands in a kind of trance amongst the tendrils of the Mother Tree. Neytiri and the other acolytes dance hypnotically. All the Omaticaya sway and chant to the rhythm of the drums. Fine, hairlike threads have emerged from the roots and are gently spreading over Grace's human skin. Nyami, still holding her hand, watches her body being fused to the root-floor by a thousand connections. Grace's avatar is gently connected by the same questing root, cilia, they entwine with the queue and spread over the body.