Log Entry: 21

Mo'at opens her eyes in sudden realization as the troopers pivot to face a wall of charging hammerheads crashing out of the foliage in a shower of broken branches

Mo'at opens her eyes in sudden realization as the troopers pivot to face a wall of charging hammerheads crashing out of the foliage in a shower of broken branches. The Troopers open fire but the stampede drives over them like a wave. Tree-trunk feet shatter the ampsuit cockpits. Troopers are crushed or asphyxiated. Nearby, the foot-soldiers see living shadows flow out of the gloom as viperwolves race among them with flashing jaws. The troopers fire wildly as they go down, hitting each other as much as their attackers. The survivors break and run as more viperwolves bound out of the shadows.

In the sky, Jake banks, watching as hundreds of rider-less wild banshees converge on Quaritch's ships. They literally darken the sky.
"What the hell -- ?"
The wild banshees wheel among the ships, ripping into them. Jake slowly gets it. Eywa is in the fight.
"WHOO-HOOOO!" Jake cheers. He presses his aircom. "Nyami, you seein this? Eywa heard you!"
A gunner fires from the door of a Samson. There is a crash and the head of a banshee lunges in the open door, jerking him out. Other banshees tear at the pilot's windshield. Neytiri and Tsu'tey watch in awe as the ground troops scatter in disarray. Tsu'tey rushes past the chaos, limping from weakness but making it to Nyami. Neytiri follows him and covers her mouth as she sees Nyami. Nyami was smiling at the sky, feeling the vibrations and roars all around her. Her prayer was heard.
"Eywa is here." Nyami muttered, looking at Tsu'tey, who was crying. Nyami couldn't move but she wanted nothing more than to wipe his tears. "I'll be with Eywa."
"I want you here!" Tsu'tey sobbed. His eyes became clouded. He didn't care what he had to do to heal her. He picked her up as gently as he could. Nyami whined. Tsu'tey looked at Neytiri and nodded, signaling the fight was hers now. Neytiri nodded back. Nyami was important to Jake, maybe even more than herself. Neytiri wasn't jealous, she wanted Nyami to be okay.

Tsu'tey rushed off as he shrills for a direhorse. One comes and Tsu'tey makes the bond, rushing to get Nyami's human body. Mo'at would be able to help her if he got there in time.

The viperwolves flash past Neytiri, ignoring her. She senses something and turns slowly to see a thanator emerging from the smoke behind her. A glistening black demon. She stands paralyzed before its stygian gaze. The thanator lowers itself, until its head is just above the ground. It holds that position, waiting. Trembling, Neytiri approaches the waiting demon. All around her was a smoky hell. Fires burn all around. The troopers are disorganized, falling back. Shooting at shadows. Panicked yelling fills the comm freq.

A couple of ampsuits are charging together through the smoky gloom.
"A and C squads, rally at my pos. I want-" there was screaming on the comms, "Who's screaming God damn it?!" A trooper asked.
Over the radio, he hears, "We gotta get outta here! Whoever's in charge, call for extraction!" "Shut up you crybabies!"
Something slams into the other's suit, tackling it. The trooper whirls to see his squad-mate missing. He moves through a screen of foliage to reveal the ampsuit ripped open. Driver gone. Blood inside the cockpit. He whirls at a sound in time to see a thanator leaping straight at him. The trooper raises his cannon but it's on him in a second, slamming him to the ground. The cannon goes flying. He's face to face with its nightmare jaws, right outside his canopy. On its back is Neytiri, and it's a toss up which one looks more pissed off. The thanator rears back, muscles rippling as it poises to strike and slams its teeth right through his canopy. The troopers scream is brief. Neytiri's demon mount rears up and its triumphant roar echoes through the forest.