Log Entry: 22

At Hell's Gate, spinning teeth of the slash-cutter tear through the window in a blast of glass and lethal air

At Hell's Gate, spinning teeth of the slash-cutter tear through the window in a blast of glass and lethal air. Alarms go off. The technicians dive for cover in a blizzard of glass and shredded debris. The slash-cutter head pulls back, and avatars scramble through the gaping hole into the Ops Center. The troopers look up to see blue giants aiming weapons down at them. The battle is over in seconds. The avatars are holding the Ops Center. Selfridge lies there gasping, in his emergency mask. In shock. How could this be happening?

Meanwhile, Tsu'tey was panicking. He couldn't find the so-called shack, Nyami once mentioned she links in. She explained the entire process of making an avatar to him the night they mated, so he could understand that they were the same but different. The battle noises weren't helping him track down the building. He continuously looked down to check on Nyami. Her eyes were shut but she was still breathing. Heaving. He whispered multiple encouragements on their journey. He finally caught a glimpse of silver east of him. He rushed there and looked through a window. He saw erie silver pods with lots of light on them. Inside, there was a screen next to one of the pods. Tsu'tey could see a male on one screen and a female on another. Tsu'tey squinted to make out the female better. He looked back down to Nyami and saw several similarities.

Quaritch's ampsuit thuds relentlessly through the jungle. He sees something through the foliage ahead, the Shack. Inside the shack, Jake is oblivious under the link. Quaritch's ampsuit steps into the clearing. Tsu'tey hid in a tree, not equipped to fight with Nyami in this state. Quaritch levels his GAU-90 at the shack. His finger goes to the firing button when a six-legged black demon tackles him. Quaritch pivots as he falls, firing the cannon. It misses Neytiri by inches. He grapples with the thanator as its razor claws screech over his metal armor. The titans twist and struggle. Quaritch unleashes a long burst from the cannon. Rounds tear into the creature, which
shrieks but Neytiri wills it to smash the cannon hard against a rock, tearing it loose from the suit's hand. Quaritch slams the thanator back against a tree-trunk, almost crushing Neytiri. One hydraulic hand, as it draws the suit's knife and Quaritch twists violently, ramming the knife up under the thanator's chest armor. The creature roars and Quaritch flips on top of it, stabbing.

Quaritch stabs down again. The thanator slumps, pinning Neytiri's legs under its great bulk. She is trapped. Quaritch looks down at Neytiri. She glares back at him, panting, scared but defiant. Jake appears, witnessing Neytiri in danger.
"It's all over Quaritch." Quaritch turns, seeing Jake dropping from a tree limb. The suit rises slowly, knife glinting in the morning sun.
"Nothing's over while I'm breathing." Quaritch snapped.
"Kinda hoped you'd say that." Jake tilted his head with a smile.
Quaritch surges forward. Jake closes fast, snatching up the broken cannon as Quaritch slashes down with the knife and Jake parries, blocking it with the cannon. He closes faster than the suit can move and slams the end of the cannon into the canopy, crazing it with a web of cracks as Quaritch slices air with the huge knife.

Jake ducks, coming up to meet the next slash and smashes the knife hand with the cannon once, twice, again, in a furious attack knocking the knife flying. Quaritch catches him with the other arm, hurling him away. Jake rolls just before the massive foot stomps down where he just was. He scrambles up as Quaritch charges and Jake ducks another round-house, leaping forward to smash the canopy again then again until it is white with cracks. Quaritch manages to grab the cannon barrel but inside the cockpit, he sees nothing but the sun on the shattered glass. He hurls the cannon blindly, but Jake ducks. The massive cylinder cartwheels toward the shack and Tsu'tey sees it crash against the pressure window, crazing it but not penetrating. Jake and Nyami's links sit just inside.