Prologue

Mm, baby, now my head is on backwards.

Don't you need me oh baby boy?

Cuz I'm so happy without your noise.

George took the earbud out of his ear, laughing softly. "The lyric about wearing the same clothes for three days is a bit close to home."

Clay chuckled, taking the earbud from him and taking out his own. "I know." He shrugged. "I just can't help but think of you when I hear it."

Truth be told, Clay listened to the song every night. Analyzing, writing, rewriting the lyrics to find pieces of George in it. Not including the four or more other songs he put through the paralyzing process.

"I've never listened to something like that before. Can you show me another one tomorrow?" George started packing up his things into his backpack. Clay hadn't even noticed that the bell rang, other students filing out of the lecture hall. "Yeah, of course."

"Cool. See ya later." Clay waved as George followed the other students, heading to his last class. He packed up his own things quickly, heading to his car since he had a free period. He drove home, pressing shuffle on his favourite playlist; the playlist that reminded him of George.

Dream was... a little different than most. If you asked him, he'd say he had ADHD and hyper fixated on certain things for a while before moving on. Clay does 'hyperfixate' on things but he doesn't have ADHD.

Others would argue it's OCD, which would be sort of correct. A euphemism, perhaps.

ob·sess
/əbˈses/
verb
To preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent.

Obsession.

Clay would obsess over things, 'to a troubling extent'. His most recent obsession was that of George Neffond, a brilliant but arrogant junior at the University of Florida. He seemed nice and almost innocent on campus but Mr. Neffond was quite the partier.

Frequenting most parties to get blazed, drunk, railed, or all at the same time, George did anything and everything except study. Ironically, he was top of his class, placed 1st of 1,782 junior students, and 10th in the whole school. Maybe that's what made Clay want him so badly.

Clay ranked 11th out of the whole school.

At first, Clay was furious. He'd worked so hard to get into that college only to be 11th when his only goal was to be in the top 10. Truthfully, he was willing to sabotage, but when he saw who was ranked above him, he had... altered his intentions.

He befriended the boy, getting close and working his way up the list of friends that George had in only a matter of months. Doing whatever he could to get close to him, to get rid of his competition. But, as he got to know George, his mouth began to water with something much sweeter than revenge.

Clay drove idly back to his parents' house, it being conveniently close to campus. He headed upstairs, saying hello to his mom in the kitchen. He sighed heavily as he tossed his backpack against the wall and pulled out his phone.

"A new song..." Clay's mind immediately drifted to Glass Animals of course, retreating to his notes app where he'd copied all the lyrics. "Maybe something from Dreamland." He stood and paced around his room slowly, scrolling.

"George, George, what songs remind me of George?" He sighed, rubbing his face with his free hand. He needed inspiration. So he did what any other person would do and... opened his closet to reveal a secret room.

His parents bought the house because his mother loved old homes. She loved renovating and fixing rooms and decorating everything. With the house being built in the late 1800s, it had secret areas meant for alcohol, because of prohibition, and since his bedroom was the only room upstairs besides his bathroom so he had one as well.