Chapter 13

Y/n's POV:

" Quidditch match this afternoon, shall I be seeing you there?" Ascot asks me as he plops down next to me, it's early in the Slytherin common room.

As he takes a seat he wraps his hand on my ponytail and pulls it out, keeping the bobble in his hand, my hair wasn't sitting down nicely today so I threw it up.

" hey give that back" I say to him.

"No" he says as he puts it on his wrist.

I grab his hand and he gives in easily, letting me touch his hand as I grab it off his wrist.

" you should keep your hair down love, it looks pretty" he says.

Not because I care what Ascot thinks even though I do, but I put my bobble on my wrist as I've always felt self conscious with my hair up.

" it's a bit messy today" I say to Ascot feeling slightly insecure.

I avoid his dark orbs as he looks at me intensely, " I like it" he says.

He tucks hair behind my ear as I accidentally lock eyes with Tom who is sitting across the room.

I look away afterwards, feeling as if I can't look anywhere without getting stared at.

" I don't think I will be at the Quidditch match" I tell Ascot.

He looks at me disappointed, " why not?"

I shrug, " Quidditch isn't my thing, besides the library is deserted when everyone is out watching it" I tell him.

Ascot looks across the room but I don't where to as I don't follow him eyes.

" does anyone else go to the library when Quidditch matches are on?" He asks.

I shake my head, " not that I notice"

" Hm" Ascot says and he continues to stroke my hair.

———————————————

Tom's POV:

While the Quidditch match takes place I go the library to write in my book.

I pinch myself hard whenever my mind wanders about y/n, normally she's here by now. Like me, she comes in the library every night.

Sometimes we talk, sometimes we don't.

But most of the time we do since she can't keep her mouth shut.

Then I hear the library doors open and I resist the temptation to look up to see if it's her.

But as soon as the smell of citrus and slight vanilla hit me I know it's her, she grabs the book that she is currently reading off of the table that I put there for her before sitting next to me.

" you're late" I tell her.

" were you timing me?" She chuckles.

She lets out a happy sigh before opening her book and reading it and then she realises it wasn't on the shelf, she may be smart in the classroom but she's actually really slow and gullible.

" oh, what did you get this out for me?" She asks me and she flashes me a sweet smile.

I like seeing y/n smile. Especially when it's because of me. But I don't like her knowing things that I don't approve of.

" no someone was previously reading it and didn't put it back" I lie.

" oh" she says not offended but believes it.

" I hear Slughorn's next lesson is going to be another practical" she tells me.

" uh huh" I say looking at my book.

" this time, will you let me participate?" She asks.

I look at her, " I don't know, will you be annoying?" I ask and she cutely frowns.

" if by annoying you mean smarter than you, then yes" she says and she laughs at my reaction.

" you're not smarter than me" I tell her.

" Tom" she says looking at me unconvinced.

She places a hand on my leg and pushes it slightly in a jokey way, " smarter than you at potions then"

" no" I refuse to admit and she rolls her eyes.

" you can the best at everything, speaking of, why don't you play Quidditch?" She asks me.

I close my book shut and she looks at me confused.

" well I can't concentrate when you won't stop talking" I inform her.

She shuts up and puts her eyes back on her book, " fine I'll be quiet"

I snatch her book out of her hands and put it on the table next to mine.

" no it's too late now I've put mine down"

Smiley, y/n shifts in her seat and positions herself so her body is facing towards me, preparing to talk again.

" I don't fly because one time in first year I fell off when-"

" wait" I tell her.

She listens and stops talking while I shuffle closer to her on the couch, she looks confused but not scared, one thing I like about y/n is how comfortable she is around me.

With one hand, I grab all of her hair and hold it there, with the other I grab the bobble off her wrist and then I put it into a ponytail for her. Her y/c eyes look into mine the whole time.

Once I'm done, we remain close when pink sprawls on her cheeks.

I want to tell myself that I saw her eyes flicker to my lips but I'm not too sure I did.

When I realise how close I am to her, I move back as this behaviour is unacceptable. But once I've moved back I want to be that close again.

" you were saying?" I ask casually.

I do pretend a lot of the things that have happened between us haven't, even if sometimes I don't want to. But if I don't try to forget about it, I'll think about it all day and I can't have something as pathetic as a girl stopping me.

It's for her own good as well.

The doors of the library open again, and for a second I think I've heard it wrong but then the one and only Ascot Ritz walks in.

I bite the inside of my cheek as I watch him stare at y/n, who looks nervous and picks up her book.

I do the same and read peacefully while eavesdropping in on their conversation.

Y/n, the coward, moved and joined Ascot on the couch he was sitting on.

" what are you doing here?" I hear her ask.

" I was looking for you" he responds.

" I thought you wanted to watch the match"

" I'd rather spend time with you"

It takes a lot in me to not pick up the book Ascot is holding and hit him across the head with it.

" that's sweet... I was just reading" y/n lies.

" that's okay, I'll do the same"

And then the two lovebirds sit across me and read, I don't want them to know I care because I don't.

15 minutes later I've had enough and leave the library and go to the bathroom.