Chapter 21

Y/n's POV:

When Tom isn't in the library, I check the common room. And when he's not there, I go back to the library, but still no sign of him.

I sort of wander the halls hoping to bump into him when my hopes are gifted, I see him exit Dippet's office but he looks awful.

I've seen Tom look angry but never fearful, it's one expression that I struggle to comprehend when he leaves the office with fear in his eyes, looking traumatised.

I take a risk when I decide I'm still going to talk to him, he doesn't even notice when I'm up close until I say his name.

" Tom?"

I know he hears me, it's like he's here but he's not.

" what's wrong?" I ask.

I see him swallow and he finally blinks after staring at nothing.

" I've been accused again" he tells me.

" what?" I ask confused, I haven't heard anything.

Tom shakes his head like he's not ready to talk, he looks scared but is remaining calm.

" I can't tell you" he finally says.

" what do you mean? You can" I insist.

" you'll hate me" he says as he walks away from me.

" stop doing that!" I yell as I try to catch up with him, but his steps are large and my legs are shorter.

" doing what?" I hear him respond.

" walking away from me! It's all you ever do! I know you've said you don't want anything to do with me but have the decency to not be such a coward!"

Its all word vomit. And when I watch him turn on his heel and charge up to me, I want to take it all back. I wouldn't talk to me now either, especially after this morning.

When he reaches me, he scowls down at me and I'm waiting for the worst possible words that might be hard to recover from but he grabs the back of my neck, pulling my face close to his as he whispers to me.

" I want everything to do with you"

I look into his eyes, wanting this moment to forever as I raise my hand to hold to his face.

" I won't hate you, tell me" I encourage him.

He looks around the hall way, pulling my hand away from his face gently.

" not here"

" okay, let's go back to the common room-"

With the grab of my wrist, Tom pulls me into the opposite direction of where the Slytherin common room.

" this isn't the way to-" I say but he aggressively hushes me.

" it's past curfew, be quiet!" He hisses.

I shut up and let him take me to wherever we are going when we end up outside of the prefect bathrooms.

" I'm not a prefect, I shouldn't be here" I say.

" all the professors are finally asleep, so we must be careful" Tom says,  the most serious I've ever seen him.

I watch him speak a foreign language as his lips move to the sound of his voiceless words when the bathroom opens up from inside.

I've heard stories from Harry and Ginny, but watching it unfold in front of me is both thrilling, I'm about to enter the chamber of secrets, where I could scream and no one on castle grounds would hear.