Chapter 04

“Heavy.”

However, unlike Charlotte, who said it wasn’t a big deal at this point, the vase felt quite large and heavy. What vase was this to be so heavy?

No, maybe the heavy feeling wasn’t the vase, but her drooping body. She only slept for three or four hours, and was only given a bit of soup and a piece of bread. It had been a little less than a week since she came to this house and in the meantime, Evely was really experiencing what a territory was like.

The ankle, which was tied up by the chains, was still sore because she couldn’t rest properly, and the shock from the time she fell still had bruises on her back and arms. Every time she moved something big, it seemed like her body ached.

She was dying, working with this body was painful. But what could she do? She had to resume.

“I will pass by for a moment.”

Evely hugged the vase with both hands and diligently moved her feet between the maids. The gestures of the maids cleaning the house were busy and careless. They didn’t look at the convenience of Evelly, and thanks to her, she had no choice but to squeeze through the gap in a sloppy shape.

“Wait. I will pass by.” After placing the vases, she had to clean the stair railing. Thinking of getting rid of the work, Evely hurriedly walked with a throbbing ankle. The warehouse came into sight when she turned around the corner in front of her. She just had to put it in there.

“Make no mistake, move well.”

The moment the soft voice passed through her ears, Evely’s body staggered. Her body lost balance and began to lean forward, terrified to feel that someone was pushing her from behind.

Crash!

With the sound of the vase breaking, Evely’s body fell over the corridor. And at the same time, a small laughter erupted from the back. However, she had no time to turn her head and find out who it was.

“What can I do……”

Evely approached like a creeper and began to pick up the pieces of the vase with her bare hands. Unlike the trembling fingertips, there was no hesitation in picking up sharp pieces.

“Ah!”

Then, in the end, she cut her hand. As she sucked her fingers, a fishy taste struck her tongue. Red blood continued to ooze from the scratch, but Evely moved her hand again. Every time she touched a sharp piece, she was flinching in sharp pain, but she was busy thinking about how to fix it.

But then, she heard the sound of someone stepping on the broken pieces.

Evely’s hands froze. The toe of the leather padded shoe came into sight. The moment she guessed who the owner of the shoe was, a careless voice fell into her ear.

“What are you doing now?”

Evely raised her head in a contemptuous face. Legs tightly surrounded by expensive fabrics, a tight body, and an unfamiliar, but familiar face……

Alec Bernhard.

The owner of this mansion. And he was the man who became her master.

“Master…”

“What a mess.”

It was a monotonous voice as if it wasn’t worth listening to.

“Remove it.”

Charlotte, who followed him fearfully, approached her with a frown.

“Wow, really! Can’t you do any of the work?”

Charlotte, who pierced Evely with pointed eyes, bowed her head to the owner and opened her mouth with a gentle voice.

“I will clean it up soon, Master.”

“I was told to get rid of that girl instead of the pieces.”

Evely’s hand stopped picking up the broken pieces of the vase. She looked up and looked at the owner without knowing, but hurriedly lowered my head again. She couldn’t dare face the owner’s eyes.

“You want to get rid of it? Move.”

Charlotte whispered then smacked Evely with her elbow, and she got up from her position without much attention. Evely had nothing to do anymore, and when she wiped her darkened hand on the hem of her dress, blood smeared lightly over the dark-colored maid’s clothes.

“Follow me.”

But she heard something unexpected. Eventually, Evely’s eyes when he met his eyes, ‘Me?’ She looked at him as if asking, but he only turned around. She began following him. Evely heard Charlotte giggling as if she was going to be scolded.

Alec turned to the office on the left side of the hall. The mansion was so spacious and it wasn’t long before she could see all the rooms, but the office was also the first place she visited today. The inside of the office was spacious and uncluttered. The walls were full of books, and there was only one desk that looked heavy in the center of the room.

Even in different places, Evely was busy looking around the offices. God, how are there so many books? People like her did not have access to books. When a wandering storyteller tells the story of what he saw in a book, listening was all it could matter.

As she looked around, turning her head back and forth, she heard a low and neat voice.

“Lately.”

Evely hurriedly turned her head and opened her eyes. His hand came into sight. A big, hard hand held the pen. It was quite aesthetic to see the sharp nib writing down the parchment paper.

“Do you remember the face of the man who dragged you there?”

There. Although she didn’t immediately refer to it, Evely guessed at once. He was talking about the slave market she was previously in.

Evely remembered that day. To save the man, Rain forced her to go, chained her tightly, treated her like a sinner, dressed in nasty clothes and sold her to the market.

She clenched her fists remembering. His voice was clear.

“Yes. I remember them as vividly as yesterday.”

“What do they look like?”

Evely, who had been biting her lips for a moment, opened her mouth. The sadness of that time was added and the words that came out of her mouth became faster.

“His face is puffy, as if he was a grumpy, and his hair is like chewed grass. His eyes were far apart.”

She could imagine it just like that. But didn’t know how to put in words.

Evely scrunched her eyes up. She was trying so hard to explain, that her sad eyes seemed distorted.