Chapter 5 (Grian/Cub)

tw: fighting

wc: 874

Night was falling on the last day in Hermitcraft 6. Projects had been wrapped up, bases cleaned, and photos taken. Grian sat on the edge of one of his tower balconies, dangling his legs off the edge. 

He drank a bottle of the potion X gave him. The need for them was becoming more frequent (no it's not addiction) to Grian's dismay. He chucked the empty bottle as far as he could. A small clattering noise echoed from somewhere.

His stomach twisted. For some reason, he was nervous, although he didn't know why. Grian swore there was a taint of magic in the air that certainly wasn't his own. Giving up on sleep, Grian let himself slip off the balcony, using his elytra to glide safely to the ground.

The stars twinkled merrily among the black blanket of sky. The moon was only a sliver that night, but that was alright (ooh rhyming). He wasn't planning on doing anything that needed light. Grian lay down in the grass in a small clearing in the forest. Occasionally an owl hooted or a dog barked. The night sky reminded him vaguely of a void... the worlds and servers, all with their own respective star, glinting and watching...

And as if right on cue, the sky tore open.

Grian startled upright in a fighting stance, his fear causing the transformation back into his Watcher form. He'd never made himself out to be that good of a PVPer, but he would do what he needed to protect Hermitcraft.

His stomach sunk as what were unmistakably Watchers walked out from the rip, landing in front of him. Their long black cloaks swished around their ankles and purple eyes shone brightly in the darkness.

Wait...

Grian stopped backing up and looked closer. These Watchers weren't wearing masks.

A voice spoke.

"Grian...?"

Cub's POV

Yes, it was late. But the server jump was the next day, there was no time to waste. He hurried over to Scar's base, about to use a rocket to fire off in the direction of the island when he heard something.

As Cub looked back, a long purple gash appeared in the night sky, and beings came out of them, with huge wings and cloaks. Fear spiked its way throughout Cub's body, but he had to do something.

So he turned back and ran in the direction of where the beings had landed. When he heard sounds, he stopped and crouched in the bushes, not wanting to be seen or heard.

"...so long," a voice whispered. 

"I've missed you so much," said another, and two people wrapped their arms around each other. There was some more muffled speech.

"Listen," said the one who had first spoken. It was obviously a female, with short white hair and piercing lavender eyes. "We're coming soon. It'll be total chaos, destruction... do what you can, and get everyone out of here."

The second person nodded mutely.

"You won't be alone, don't worry." They grasped each other's arms. "You know who you are, it'll be okay."

There was a drop in volume as the group discussed. Then the second person to speak raised their hands. Purple magic illuminated their face, but they turned away so Cub couldn't see who it was. Cub nearly growled in frustration.

The rip appeared in the sky again, considerably stronger than before. All of the figures except for one stepped through. There was some waving and goodbyes, and the rip disappeared along with most of the beings.

There was only one left. Cub could feel his vex form taking over. He could win this fight. He didn't know who these people were, but he had magic, and he could fight when he was using it.

His foot landed on a stick, the piece of wood breaking with a loud CRACK. The figure whipped its head around to look in Cub's direction. It raised its hands with a purple glow...

Cub shot out from the bushes into the figure, and they crashed into a tree. Cub attempted to pin down the person's arms, but they were fairly strong and obviously very skilled at fighting. There were no weapons, as it seemed neither of them had thought to bring one.

This person is plotting against Hermitcraft! Cub thought. Xisuma, I need to contact Xisuma...

He tried to get to his communicator, but was quickly distracted by the fighting. He saw a glint of some kind of communicator on his opponents wrist, making it more than likely that the other side was also a Hermitcraft member.

However, Cub couldn't distinguish any facial features in the dark lighting. The person did make a very masculine grunt when Cub elbowed him in the ribs, so who were the best male PVPers? Was it Iskall? This person was going defensive, there was a hesitation in his attacks that made Cub wonder if this person was holding back.

"Who are you?" Cub asked. The person remained silent. He suddenly teleported behind Cub and landed a hard hit on the back of Cub's head.

Gods, it hurt. Black was already gathering at the edges of Cub's vision. His knees buckled, but surprisingly, the mystery person caught him and laid him gently to the ground. Cub saw a face... perhaps dirty blonde hair, and purple eyes...

But when Cub woke up again, he couldn't remember what the face looked like.

Thanks for reading <3! If you enjoyed, please vote and comment :3

Have a good day or night, wherever you are!

-Ete