Chapter Twenty Two

Captivity
Kidnapping
Compliance

Loki's POV

Loki steps inside the house and hears voices. He walks toward the voices cautiously. No one but him and [Y/N] should be inside. The enchantments around the house are strong, but there are always loopholes in any good spell. None of the voices sound familiar. Loki listens to them and soon his worry goes away as he hears what is being said. "Identity theft isn't a joke, Jim! Millions of families suffer every year!" Probably the television. Even still, Loki goes to check and let [Y/N] know he's back. He walks just outside the room and looks inside after lightly knocking on the wall next to the doorway.

[Y/N]'s body goes rigid before she hurriedly fumbles with the remote and pauses the television before turning to look at Loki. She is sitting cross-legged and facing the television on the couch, a blanket loosely wrapped around her shoulders, Shadow curled up in her lap. "Yes?" Her voice shakes through the one syllable.

"Just letting you know I'm back, dearest. Sleep well? When did you wake up? You were still asleep when I left two hours ago."

"Um, yeah, and I woke up an hour ago," [Y/N] answers, looking down.

"That's good," Loki says as he walks towards the couch opposite [Y/N]. She subtly backs away from him when he sits opposite her. "Twice as long as usual, correct?" She nods. "Good, good." Loki lets out a breath before asking a more serious question. "Any nightmares?" [Y/N] shakes her head. Loki nods, staring at her, deep in thought. "That would be my doing."

"So, you did put the nightmare spell on me?" she asks, a hint of betrayal in her voice.

"No, I can't cast that spell on someone who's already asleep. Besides, I respect your decisions, darling, and have no intention of using any spells on you without consent unless absolutely necessary. What happened this time was unintentional." Loki sets his arm on the arm rest and puts his weight there. "I was going to tell you I was leaving when I found you asleep on the couch. You looked incredibly uncomfortable. It looked as if a wrong move would tear your spine apart. I carried you to your bed, and as I was leaving your room, you started speaking in your sleep. You were pleading with me, whatever I was doing in your dream was hurting you. I knelt next to you with my hand on your shoulder, and I spoke to you. I spoke to you calmly, apologizing for all that has happened. I was about to shake you awake when you settled down. You curled up like a kitten and looked as content as one."

"You just…talked to me? I don't even remember any dreams I had. That, that was enough to help me?"

"Unfortunately, no. Magic was used, unintentionally. I didn't notice until the deed was already done. There is a spell that lets me give one of my current emotions to another in exchange for one of there's. I haven't intentionally used that spell since I was a child first learning basic spells. It isn't all that reliable, and I can't decide which emotions are exchanged. But occasionally, I use that spell without realizing it. It has only happened when I was distraught, terribly worried for whoever I use the spell on. Hearing you beg to not be hurt was heartbreaking. You sounded resigned, like you had already accepted the pain. It felt awful to hear it. I must have worried over you enough to take your fear away. I haven't any idea what emotion I gave you in return. It doesn't help that emotions are complicated. Emotions could present themselves entirely differently in you than me. And we always feel a combination of emotions. We might never know what I gave you."

"But it's over with now, right? Whatever happened, I wasn't having a nightmare and now I feel pretty much the same as always."

Loki gives her a sad smile. "Dearest, I wish I could say you were right. You're going to feel what I gave you for a few days. Same holds true for me. I am terribly, terribly sorry, darling. I can't apologize enough."