Survival of the Hottest

I squinted my eyes at the TV infront of me, munching on my cereal as I carefully read the temperatures.

I just groan when it says its going to be 3 digits for today.

My phone started to ring, the picture of my dad showing on the screen. Sighing, I picked it up and accepted the call.

"Hello father."

"Amelia, it's good to hear your voice." I heard him say. "I just want to check up on you, how you been holding up?"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes but kept my neutral tone. "I've been doing good, grades are still A's as always."

"That's good, our business here in Las Vegas will be over soon. So your mother and I will be coming home in a week."

I bit my lips, forcing myself to ask to be 'nice'. "How's mother doing?"

"She's at the spa relaxing after going on a shopping spree. You know how she is."

"Of course..."

What was that?"

"Oh, I said of course." I said it more loudly enough to make him know I'm annoyed. I heard him sigh.

"Alright, I'll let you go now."

"Bye, father." I hanged up immediately, not wanting to hear him any longer.

Finishing up my cereal, I put them in the dishwasher and went back up to my room to get ready for the day.

I do not get along with my parents. As much as I try to, I can only tolerate them in appropriate amount of time.

Simply because they were never there for me, they mainly focus on their work. Most of my childhood consists of the family's nanny taking care of me while they're away.

When my parents do come home, I only face with mother's harsh criticism.

Be polite. Stand straight, don't slouch. Be more ladylike, dress more feminine. Don't wear an ugly clothing. Wear more makeup.

My father... I guess he just doesn't care; only asking that I'll need to take over his job one day and be like him.

Which I hate that considering I want to become a famous writer.

He doesn't show it, but he wasn't happy.

🤍🖤🤍🖤🤍🖤🤍🖤

"You look hot."

"Literally or figuratively?" I ask my best friend while grabbing some drinks for the both of us.

Jade just shrug a bit before thanking me as she took a sip. "He's definitely gonna kill you."

I just rolled my eyes as we made our way to the outside for lunch period. "It's hot and I have no choice so these shorts are my last resort. Besides, I'm technically wearing somethingthat covers it." I stated, showing my summer theme cardigan.