26

Evangeline

      After driving my friends back to town, I texted Tristan the details while we walked into the apartment where Lucas was finishing getting ready.

I took a moment to try and sneak off to get ready because the overwhelming feeling of needing to do so kicked in. Maya caught me in the act and intervened, earning my mental praise because she was just so much better at it than I was.

It took her five minutes what it would've taken me an hour to throw together. The outfit wasn't too much but it did help me look...presentable.

Not wearing my usual t-shirt and skinny jeans, Maya had me slip into a pair of light blue boyfriend jeans that she brought over and a dark red tank top that "hugged the curves I often forget I have and complimented my skin quite nicely" according to my blonde friend.

Although I didn't need one, Maya added a black belt and some small gold hoops before tying my hair back into a low bun, pulling some fringe out herself.

It wasn't an extravagant outfit, it just wasn't an outfit I'd be caught wearing. That and Mayas been telling me for the last two years that:

"Skinny jeans are so high school Vange, this is why people think you're a single mother"

I roll my eyes every time but looking at the outfit I'm in now gave me a rush of confidence and a strong feeling that she is right. I did look more my age, more like someone who does have fun.

The boys stared at me funny and might have been gawking when I swiped the keys and walked toward a the front door.

"Don't be upset she looks hotter than the three of you combined" Maya shrugged making me laugh and lead them out of the apartment.

"You look...like...normal" Cooper cleared his throat making me turn towards him and quirk an eyebrow.

"Cooper James, have I got you speechless?" I playfully gasped making Thomas and Lucas smirk at him.

"What? No, I'm just saying- the outfit is- you look nice" he scratched the back of his head and I grinned.

"Wow, an honor really, I've got babe magnet, Cooper James blushing like crazy, I feel I deserve a medal or something" I shrugged, climbing into the drivers seat, Maya sliding into the passenger and the boys squeezing in the back.

"And, you've ruined it, babe magnet? Vangie, what is this 1983?" Cooper cringed.

"What? People don't say babe magnet anymore?" I asked, looking over at Maya who let out a snort.

"You have the soul of a 55 year old woman" Thomas chuckled from behind me.

"Thank you" I playfully wiped a fake tear.

"Are you going to hand him a butterscotch now?" Lucas asked and I flipped the trio off before peeling out of the driveway and heading towards Sals.

It was only a five minute drive considering it was in the town square. The five of us climbed out and rushed inside, eager to see Emerald Groves favorite and only bartender.

Considering it was a Monday night, it didn't surprise me that it wasn't busy at all tonight. The bar housed your classic groups of middle aged men and a few young adults who looked like they've had a long day.

"You're shitting me!" A man's voice boomed the second we walked in making us all grin like children.

"Sal!" We cheered as we approached the counter.

"You kids grow over night? Wasn't it last week I was yanking Cooper and Luke by the necks?" He beamed, reminiscing on the absolute havoc the two boys have wreaked on this town.