Distracted

Sleep has become a thing I was lucky to get a full night of now-a-days. But as of late i've realized I've managed to gain some of what would be considered a more natural sleeping schedule.

Which had been completely ruined last night.

Rubbing the tiredness from my eyes I shuffled out from under my stuffy blankets and trudged off to get ready for the day with around three hours of sleep to keep me going.

I drew out a long sigh with the sight of my cracked and ruined sink, which I'd managed to glue and seal into something somewhat manageable with a cheap sealant I bought from the store.

The sink wasn't leaking, that's all that matters.

I splashed some cool water on my face, slumping over the counter as I stared in my reflection. Tilting my head to the side, I tried to smooth down my hair to something a little presentable. I wasn't too worried about my appearance though, because Tom had given me the day off today.

I showered and dressed in my usual bartender outfit Kasuka had gifted me, but I let my hair be as it dried into something wild and disheveled. The dark bags under my eyes weren't adding to the look either...

With a yawn, I wandered out to the kitchen for something to eat. I kept focused on my destination, not daring to look around to see if Izaya was watching me. It was easy to tell that things were still a bit strange from last night. The air felt almost-tense but in a high-strung awkward sort of way instead of aggressive.

I turned on the coffee maker with mild interest and sat a mug under the nozzle, grabbing the bag of sugar along with cream as I waited. Every movement was lagged and soaked with my obvious fatigue, but I didn't really care.

The coffee began pouring, wafting the apartment in a pleasant scent as I drifted off to look at the clock. Last night after everything that happened, I wasn't able to fall asleep for some time which in turn made me sleep in late.

It was around 9:00 in the morning.

Thoughts lingered and dragged around my head as I blinked slowly, still staring at the digital clock on the stovetop.

"Shizu-chan."

My head rose, glancing back towards the living room where Izaya sat staring back at me with a brow raised high. I slurred out a tired hum as a meager response.

"Your coffee."

I glanced back at the coffee machine, which had turned off. I grabbed the cup expecting to feel heat welcomingly wrap around my hands. Instead, there was only a lingering warmth as I realized I'd been staring long enough for the cup to cool off a bit.

Grunting some sort of noise as an answer, I dumped in a lot of sugar and cream and was quick to guzzle down the caffeine. I sighed with contempt as I waited for some of the tired edges of my mind to wear off.

At least Izaya was speaking... I took another gulp as I glanced over towards the living room again.

The television wasn't on, he was just laying on the couch, I couldn't see much past the back of the seat but it seemed like he was just sitting there in thought.

Hm.

With the fatigue flickering out, I let myself wake up as I gently held my coffee mug. I couldn't help but stare at the back of Izaya's head, thinking back to last night.

It was strange seeing Izaya act like that. A warranted reaction, sure. But from Izaya? It was new, and there was this strange feeling of comfort that came with knowing even the flea could get angry like that.