[6]: merle

Daryl yawned as the sun finally peeked through the trees, telling him that it was morning, and it was time to go. He got up from his seat and stretched like a cat, cracking his back and neck in the process.

He had to wake up Marley, who had emitted a chorus of sobs and sniffles last night before eventually quieting down. He knew that this girl wouldn't be alive if she hadn't stumbled across his cabin the other night. He was kinda glad she did, as he felt sick to think that Jimmy Blake would have been the one to be with her if it wasn't him. He still kept questioning himself about why he obliged to stick with her.

He leant over and started unzipping the door to the tent.

"Marley? We need to go," he grumbled, "Marley?" he looked in further. She was curled up on her side like a cat. She must have taken her jeans off last night because she was left in her t-shirt and panties. Daryl's eyes wandered up her pale slim legs. Daryl couldn't help but admit in his head that she was a gorgeous person. She had gone from a melted clown to being bare-faced and pale. Her mouth was slightly parted as she breathed softly, hands under her head in a peaceful slumber.

Daryl suddenly felt rude as she started turning in her sleep a little. Her eyes opened and she yawned, stretching her arms above her head. This caused her t-shirt to lift and expose her stomach that Daryl noticed was scattered with bruises and scars. He averted his eyes and stepped out from looking in.

+

It was silent as they drove to Fontana. Daryl drove whilst Marley rested her chin on the open windowsill. She squinted her eyes as wind whizzed past her face. There was hardly any traffic.

Marley was suffocating in boredom, as she was safe enough to be bored. She brought her head back in the car and faced forward. She stuck her hand out instead and weaved it through the air.

"How long?" she asked.

"Not long, naw," Daryl answered. Marley looked to her left to look at Daryl. He had a cigarette hanging from his lips, the smoke flowing out the open window which he had his arm out of. Her thoughts were interrupted as her stomach grumbled, luckily quiet enough not to embarrass her. She was hungry, she hadn't eaten for a day, the only thing she'd been having was water.

She took off her belt and turned to lean in between the front seats to get to her bag. Rummaging around, she found a candy bar.

Daryl was just looking confusedly at her, as he didn't know what she was doing. Again her t-shirt lifted up slightly to show some of her bruises. He took one of his fingers and lifted it up to them, ever so lightly tracing them for a split-second. But Marley flinched and nearly hit her head on the ceiling. She jumped back into her seat and turned away from him to eat her candy bar.

"Jimmy Blake," was all she had to say, and Daryl knew what she meant. Daryl also knew that she didn't love Jimmy anymore, as normally using his full "Jimmy Blake" name normally mean you didn't like him very much.

+

Upon entering Fontana, they heard gunshots. All gunshots sounded like they were being set off by a lunatic.

"Keep yer head down," Daryl ordered quietly. She didn't think twice before crouching down near the glovebox and curling up into a safe ball. Daryl stopped the car, and killed the engine. The gunshots continued, but he couldn't see anyone, he figured that they were further into town.

All he could do was look on at nothing but listen to the cacophony of bullets in the air. But then they stopped suddenly, and Daryl looked around to rooftops, the houses that were in the street looked to have been ransacked, and one at the end of the street was even on fire.