[25]: highway to hell

I placed my elbow on the table, holding up my head. I looked out the window.

I was sat in the RV. After the CDC blew up, we made a pit stop so that we could siphon more gas. Daryl volunteered to go on Merle's/his bike so that we could the gas from that car. This meant that I couldn't sit in my seat any more. I didn't even pick up my pillow before we left. That sucked.

So here I was. Next to Shane at the RV table, looking out the window as Daryl passed on his bike, wind blowing through his vest and hair.

We coming out of the RV, I noticed that three particular people would avoid talking to me. Lori, Glenn, and Daryl. I didn't ask them why, but I would have to at some point.

I was quite squashed next to the window, as Shane had some pretty muscular arms that took up a lot of room.

All I had to do was think about my actions. What happened to me back in the CDC. How angry I got. Me hitting that door with the axe, and screaming my lungs raw. That wasn't me. I only realised that now.

"Oh jeez!" Dale exclaimed. I turned in my seat, and looked through the tiny gap between the chair and the RV wall.

Piles of cars were holed up on the highway. Some were flipped, and most were just the wrong way round. All abandoned. Blocking our way through.

"There's an interstate bypass-" Glenn suggested, but was cut off by Dale. "No we can't spare the fuel."

We slowed down some more, carefully manoeuvring through the cars. It was haunting to say the least.

A few spluttering sounds cam from the front of the RV. I put a hand to my heart as a burst of gas spat upwards.

Dale stopped the RV abruptly. We all clambered to get out. The hot sun was torture. I much preferred the cold to the warm.

I stretched my arms above my head, then tightened the bun on top of my head. Looking around, this place looked like a goldmine.

"I said it. Didn't I say it?" Dale started, opening up the front of the RV. "A thousand times. Dead in the water."

"Problem Dale?" Shane asked. I rolled my eyes. He was there when the RV obviously blew something.

"Just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of-" he trailed off as he watched Daryl start looting through the back of a car. "Okay, that was dumb."

"If you can't find a radiator hose here..." Shane said.

"There's a whole bunch of stuff we can find," Daryl finished for him. He opened up a backpack which looked to belong to a six year old girl.

"I can siphon more fuel from these cars for a start," T-Dog stepped up.

"Maybe some water," Carol added.

"Food," Glenn also added.

"This is a graveyard," Lori said. I looked to her. She really didn't need to add that. If you consider it, everywhere is a graveyard. Just more-so now that the world has ended. "I don't know how I feel about this."

"Bit morbid," I mumbled. "Didn't need that."

Despite his wife's comment, Rick told us all to go and scavenge what we can.

Whereas everyone went the way in front of the RV, I thought it might be clever to go the other way.

I passed Rick, both of us sending each other curtly nods. I walked a bit until I came to a car that looked like ones you saw on family commercials.

Inside there was a baby seat. It got me thinking about children. When I was younger, I'd always wanted children. As I got older, that thought got less. I didn't particularly want them as I got older. Not that I despise them.

Looking through the bags, I didn't find anything useful. I did find a little grey beanie though. I plopped it on my head, opting to look through the glove box. I found some baby wipes, some brochures and men's sunglasses.

I heard someone whispering my name. So I looked to my right where everyone was. Rick had a panicked look in his eyes. He kept glancing to behind me.

I turned my head, and I saw walkers. Lots of walkers.

My heart thumped in my chest. Like when your'e about to fall off a bed. That little jolt, telling you you're about to get hurt.

I crouched down slightly, scurrying back to where the others were. I just hoped the walkers hadn't seen me. Everyone else had ducked under the cars; safe.

I looked over my shoulder, and saw a female walker. Eyes on me, and clearly in pursuit. I couldn't just duck under a car like everyone else. I couldn't just disappear.
I gulped, running a little faster. I kept looking over my shoulder, seeing that walker. Luckily it was just the one. The other's hadn't noticed me, and now she was way ahead of all of them.

Do we still call them 'she'. Do we call them 'it' now.

I swerved around the front of car to be on the other side. I started backing up as it followed my tracks.

She looked around like a dog, sniffing the air for my scent. She started following me correctly, going slowly round the front of my car.

I crawled under the car, just as she would have spotted me. I held my breath, watching their shoes scuff against the concrete.

I placed my hands on the ground below me, ready to make a run for it.

Just then, their body slumped to the floor, showing me that she had been shot in the head. With an arrow.

I knew who shot that arrow: Daryl.

+

Once the community of walkers had passed, I manoeuvred my way from under the car.

I started walking back, adjusting the hat on my head.

When I got back, I knew something was wrong. Everyone was near the railing, looking out into the forest. Carol especially looked distressed.

"What happened?" I asked. Nobody answered me. Nobody even looked at me.

I looked around, counting heads. The only people that weren't here was Sophia, Daryl, Rick, and T-Dog. But soon enough, Daryl and T-Dog joined us. T-Dog was clutching a bloody handkerchief to his arm. He had a long deep cut running up his lower arm.

Well... Shit!