[45]: evolving

Marley stayed absolutely still.

Whereas Glenn and Hershel looked wide eyed at Rick, she simply scratched her head, wiping the hair away from her face.

Glenn's jaw shook as he witnessed his friend lazily look at the bodies.

He felt like he had lost her. Like they had all lost her and there was no getting her back.

They congregated around tony's body, muttering "oh shit".

Rick looked to Glenn. "You all right?"

He gave a small "yeah" before his eyes trailed after his friend in concern, as did Rick's. To Marley, who was standing, now, by Dave's body.

His body had slumped against the shelves, his blood staining the old, rotting wood. He had a hole in his head, eyes wide.

Marley stared at him for a moment, before grasping his shoulder. "Excuse me," she sighed, pulling him forward so she could get to what was behind him.

Another bottle.

"Marley?" Rick called. "You alright?"

She nodded her head, still looking at the body, with a new bottle in her hand.

There was an almost uncomfortable silence as she walked back over to Rick and Hershel exchanging nods. She leaned against Rick again, tired and definitely still not entirely sober.

"Let's head back," Hershel proposed, taking steps back away from the scene in front of him.

Marley stood on her own two feet as Rick claimed what was tony's. His gun.

When he stood back up, she leaned back against him as they started walking to the front of the bar - Glenn took a route to claiming what was Dave's.

Lights passed the windows, and the shadows danced setting panic into the four person's veins.

Rick pulled Marley along with him as they hastily ducked near the front door, away from prying eyes.

The sound of an engine made Marley feel slightly at home.

They all looked at each other, Glenn to Rick, crouched with a gun in his arms.

"Wha-" Marley went to whisper, but Rick was quick to clamp his hand over the lower half of her face, pulling her back into his chest.

She didn't detest.

"Tony!?" A stranger yelled. "I'm telling you, man, I heard shots!"

There was more bickering whilst Marley sat lazy-eyed and bored, watching as Glenn shifted in his position out of nervousness.

A dark figure appeared at the door and they all looked towards it.

Then it left and moved across the windows.

Rick slowly uncovered Marley's mouth, digging into his belt and pulling her gun out. He took her hand and placed it there, replacing the bottle and watching carefully as her hands trembled under the cold metal. He nodded to her, and she nodded back.

They all kept listening, peeping through the windows in hopes of them going away. The plaid curtains turned dark every time one of the strangers passed by.

+

The smell of steamed water and flour echoed throughout the room as dinner was ready. Carl's eyes stayed focused on the doily-like cloth that was laid on the table. Along with the faded pink and green, that decorated the edges of the old plates in front of him.