[31]: stupid, clever girl

That stupid, stupid girl.

That's what Daryl was thinking of. That stupid girl.

He called her stupid because she obviously didn't see that you can't just go out, find a weapon and try and prove your worth in a single day.

Daryl knew about those guns. He saw them beside her whilst she was sleeping.

She had opted to find a car that was clean enough to sleep in that past night. Something that Daryl decided to do too. He wasn't going to sleep on his motorcycle, and there sure as hell wasn't any room in the R.V or any other car.

With Marley's convenient luck of finding things, she had found the cleanest car in the lot. No blood, dirt... it seemed that it was once owned by someone who had severe O.C.D.

He stumbled upon her lying form, and saw in the clear moonlight, the brown leather straps and two perfectly clean colt M1911A1 semi-automatics that he guessed had belonged to someone from the FBI since armed forces didn't tend to use them anymore.

They were old but good.

How she had found such a useful array of things, he never knew. It was just one of the things she was good at doing... or being lucky at doing.

He didn't tell anyone about the guns because she didn't. He just followed her lead in concealing them.

But now he wished he had been the snitch, and told either Shane or Rick. Maybe that would have made them think a lot more before letting her go off with them.

Maybe he should have told Andrea, who would have popped a few screws at Marley.

He wasn't used to her not being there. It had become a routine with him.

Not being someone who particularly had a set of motions he would go through every day in order to keep sane, before the end of the world. It was like he had fallen into an internal trap.

When it was just Merle, Marley and him, he got used to it. And he liked it. It gave him some sort of purpose. Something he didn't really have before.

He tightened his grip on his crossbow, trying to clear his thoughts. Focusing on the grass, overturned stones.

Not Marley!

Marley. Her stupid name, he thought.

When he first heard it, he thought that maybe she had another nickname besides Ariel. That her real name must be kept secret. That she would never really utter her real name in anyone's presence. But he thought it was kind of silly to say that she would fake a name twice. It would just be a waste of time.

And her last name. He had never heard it before.

He didn't hear a lot of Dixons around, or even at all. Sure. But Van Allan just seemed fake to him. Like she had created yet another persona to live by.

Wouldn't that mean that she despised her true self? he thought to himself.

These questions and thoughts about the twenty-year-old stupid girl normally laid in his head for a few hours before flowing away.

Daryl heard Andrea and Lori converse behind him, causing him to stop in his tracks and turn to the sheep behind him.

Lori was turned away from the group, looking off into the distance.

It was obvious to everyone that she was dwelling on the gunshot from earlier.

"We all heard it," the hunter responded, shifting from one foot to another.