[40]: peaches

I didn't just want to barge in on Maggie and Glenn's hushed conversation, but I was oh so curious as to what they were actually talking about.

Sex?

Maybe.

As I waited for them to part and stop talking, watching them from behind a tree, I did wonder how many times they had done it. There was the one in the pharmacy... but they could have gone twice... three times?

'If they did it again, where would they do it?'

Luckily, I realised how absurd my mind was turning, and Maggie departed from him, a sour look on her face. She cast her face over her shoulder, giving him a last look, which appeared to be a warning. Warning?

My mind was just so full of questions today. Anything, really, to keep my mind away from the devil on my shoulder. The angel too, just keep to my own choices.

I approached him as he picked a large wooden bucket up, after hooking his binoculars over his shoulder.

"Hey, Glenn," I greeted, putting a smile on my face - tried. "Oh my chuck!"

"What?" His tone was uncharacteristically panicked and paranoid.

"Peaches."

Glenn let out a breath, his shoulders dropping.

My eyes lit up at the sight of sweetness before me. A tremendous pile of sugary fruit, just waiting to be consumed.

I had a particularly sweet tooth, and the apocalypse brought only sour and dry cooked squirrel, along with rotten berries and dirt infested water. Seeing something so clean and fresh almost made me salivate like a thirsty dog.

He thrust the bucket towards me as I picked up one, and after a moment of thinking, picked up another.

I would have expected him to smile at least, but he only looked like he wanted to get away from me and everyone.

"Hey," I nudged his shoulder, his hyper nature making him jump on the spot. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he said all too quickly. "Nothing's wrong, why?"

I stood in front of him and a little taller; if that was even possible. I stopped nibbling on the fuzzy skin of the peach and caught his full attention. "I'm asking the questions here, what's wrong?"

"I said nothing."

"Then what got Maggie so pissy looking?"

"Nothing!"

"Stop saying nothing."

"No, Marley, there's not anything going on."

I went to speak again but caught on. "Clever," I mocked, finally taking a bite into the fruit. I wanted to savour the taste but was too focused on Glenn's weird attitude. "But I asked you what's wrong, not what's going on."

"I'm fine," he scoffed, an obviously painful fake grin now plastered on his face. "Nothing's going on and nothing's wrong, okay. I gotta go give people peaches now."

He went to walk around me, but I stepped sideways to block his way. His grin didn't falter and kept persistent in his action of trying to get away.

He eventually gave up at trying to get around me and instead barged his way past my shoulder. This only made me grab the fabric of his jacket.

"Let me go," he struggled, almost dropping the bucket. That would have been a great loss. "Marl- what are you doing?"

I had fistfuls of his clothes enclosed in my hands, and my butt was close to the ground as I tried to pull him backwards. He only stood glued to the spot after he gained his balance back, and I truly underestimated his strength. The two peaches now sadly forgotten on the ground, I looked down to them, silently apologising.