Italian Nights

Lauren, Normani, and the other noble ladies and gentlemen stand to the side of the room.

Servers offer small glasses of digestifs as the dinner winds down around them.

"It looks like the evening is coming to an end," Lauren speaks.

"I've always adored Italy. I wish we could stay longer than a couple of days," Steven says.

"Not me. I'm ready to leave. These big crowds make me so nervous," Hailee says.

"Mon dieu! You should be used to this sort of thing," Steven says firmly. (My God)

"I know... But I've never enjoyed parties," Hailee frowns.

"You need to toughen up if you're going to live at court," Steven says.

"Hailee, Steven is right. You're going to be going to events like this all the time," Lauren says.

"Yeah, it's just... I don't think I belong here. Maybe I don't belong anywhere," Hailee says.

"Nonsense. Hailee, you just haven't found your footing yet. Just remember a little trick my parents always taught me for social events. 'No one cares if you're enjoying yourself, as long as you smile and laugh at the right times'," Normani says.

"Normani that's so practical," Lauren says.

"It's helpful for reframing the evening. These events can seem like everyone is perfectly composed and having the time of their lives. It can make it even more lonely if you feel like you're the only one at the party not having fun. But look around the room... Each noble is trying his or her best to impress and dazzle. They smile and laugh but the smiles never reach their eyes. Just try to remember, Hailee, most people can't tell if you're faking it and that's because they're faking it too," Normani looks at the girl.

"Thank you, Normani. You're so good at this. Lady Lauren, do you have any advice?" Hailee turns to the green-eyed girl.

"Hailee, you should be yourself," Lauren says.

"Being myself hasn't worked very well so far," Hailee frowns.

"Don't get discouraged. You're sensitive to how other people feel and can put them at ease," Lauren says.

"Thanks, Lauren. That's sweet of you to say. Oh! Lauren, you're close with Dinah Hansen. Do you think Dinah might... Well... Be interested in a marriage prospect?" Hailee says.

"You mean, you?" Lauren's eyes widen.

"Well... Yes. She's such a sweetheart and a member of House Hansen," Hailee says.

"You and Dinah? You two would make a cute couple. You're both a little bit silly... But in a way that works," Lauren says.

"Oh, that'd makes me so happy," Hailee says.

Normani clears her throat. "Not to change the topic but..." She trails off.

She nods across the room and Lauren spots Dinah walking up.

"Ladies and gentleman, might I have a moment of Lauren's time?" Dinah speaks.

"Oh! Of course, Lady Hansen," Hailee says.

She winks at Lauren as Dinah leads the green-eyed girl over to the windows.

"Everything okay with Victoria?" Lauren asks.

"Okay enough. But we don't have time to spend on her right now. We've got to get back to the business of finding this photographer. It looks like dinner is winding down, so now's the time to act," Dinah says.