Ember Of Hope

Shortly after the attackers' latest video release, they are on a train bound for Applewood Manor.

Lauren is on her way to the dining car with Zayn, Normani, and Dinah when they run into Camila and Gandy.

"Gandy, I want to know who did this. Who burned down the Applewood orchard?" Camila demands, fury written all over her features.

"My Queen, we are doing everything we can to find those responsible. Right now, we're pursuing leads in both the Liberation Core and the Sons of Earth. Duchess Ariana has been very cooperative with questioning but we haven't been able to locate her uncle. I will let you know as soon as we have any new information," Gandy says.

He takes his leave, and Lauren and her friends surround Camila.

"I can't believe someone would burn down the apple orchard..." Normani frowns.

"It's a low blow. Attacking the orchard when the real target is the monarchy..." Zayn seethes.

"Their assassination attempt didn't work, so they've restored to terrorizing our citizens," Camila clenches her hands into fists.

"The people who live at Applewood must be so scared. How're we going to get through this?" Dinah frowns.

"Dinah, together, we can do anything. We've won over our enemies, tracked down a missing person, reunited a family. We even uncovered a conspiracy orchestrated by the most powerful man in the country," Lauren says.

"Well, when you put it like that..." Dinah trails off.

"It sounds pretty impressive!" Normani smiles softly.

"You're right. We'll get through this," Camila says.

"Now let's make sure everyone in Cordonia knows that," Normani says.

The door to the train car slides open and Niall enters, talking to someone on the phone.

"Yes, you heard me, I want this on the front page. Or else I'll personally ensure that you're demoted to covering pet parades for the test of your journalistic career," Niall says. He stuffs his free hand in his suit pants pocket as he listens to the person on the other line. "Perfect... Thank you... Goodbye," Niall says. He hangs up. "There. That was the last call. Every news outlet in Cordonia will be in attendance when we arrive at Applewood," Niall says.

"Thank you, Niall. We can't personally visit every Cordonian, but this news coverage will at least let us reassure them from afar," Camila says.

"And even more than that, we have to control the story," Niall says.

"Yeah, we need to make sure everyone knows the Cordonians don't take apple-related insults lightly," Lauren says.

"The attack is a symbolic insult to the very institutions that make Cordonia great," Niall tenses.

"Yeah, like 'you mess with the apple, you get the thorns'. You know what I mean," Dinah says.

"At least no one was injured in the fire, but... Those poor farmers," Normani frowns.

"Yeah, it's going to be a rough year with no apples to harvest," Dinah says.

"My staff is already working on a plan to help the farmers, but they're understandably afraid about the future," Camila says.

"That's why our priorities for the event are to establish order and to show our enemies that we won't be intimidated. Her Majesty will accomplish that with her prepared statement," Niall says.

"And what about Lady Lauren?" Camila asks.

"She'll end the conference on a note of hope by planting a baby apple tree. Even she can't fumble that too badly," Niall says.