Haute Culture

After an unexpected detour to Applewood, they're on their way to Steven's estate.

Niall and Dinah join Lauren in the train's boutique.

"Okay, team, huddle up," Dinah says.

Niall rolls his eyes, "There's no need for that. And even if there were, I work for Lauren, not you."

"So if I asked you to get in a huddle with us..." Lauren trails back, smirking.

Niall's only response is an arched eyebrow.

"Just checking," Lauren holds her hands up. She turns serious. "So what's today's agenda? Lay it on me," Lauren says.

"We'll be arriving at Steven's estate shortly, for tomorrow's International Arts and Food Festival. You do remember Steven, I hope?" Niall says.

"Of course, I remember him. I love Steven! You can always count on him for an interesting conversation," Lauren says.

"Indeed. He's one of the more competent noblemen at court. I've prepared notes on Steven's family. I recall that you struggled with the dossier last time, so I've endeavored to make this more accessible for you," Niall says.

Instead of a binder, he hands Lauren a large stack of note cards.

"This is different... How?" Dinah raises an eyebrow.

"They're note cards. I made bullet points," Niall says.

"There are over a hundred cards here! You're giving me these now?" Lauren says, wide-eyed.

"They took all night to prepare. Surely this will be easy for you to peruse at your leisure," Niall says.

"Uh..." Lauren frowns.

"Nevermind. I'll give you a summary," Niall shakes his head. He sighs and runs a hand through his hair. "In addition to being a duke, Steven's father, Ian, is one of Cordonia's most long-established diplomats," Niall informs.

"He's kind of a big deal. Victoria invited the family to a couple of Hansen Bashes, but Ian's never shown up. Always making excuses like 'border treaties' this or 'economic summit' that," Dinah says.

"Then there's Steven's mother, Nina. She's an award-winning painter who has used her art connection to solidify alliances for Cordonia," Niall informs.

"Is anyone in this family not a world-class negotiator?" Lauren asks.

"Steven's youngest brother, perhaps. He's not very well known at court... Or anywhere outside their duchy, for that matter," Niall says.

"So I have to impress a career diplomat, a famous artist, and a mysterious brother... Any suggestions?" Lauren looks around the boutique.

Niall begins searching through the racks of dresses in the boutique.

"In the social spheres Ian and Nina frequent, acknowledging another country's flag is a sign of respect. Acknowledging their house colors is sure to make a good impression," Niall says.

"And don't forget their adorable house crest!" Dinah adds.

"I'd advise against calling a centuries-old crest 'adorable' to Steven's face," Niall glances at the blonde girl.

"It's not my fault that his ancestors picked a cute owl for their symbol!" Dinah holds her hands up in defense.

"If you can work that into an outfit, I'll be impressed," Lauren says.

Niall smirks at her and pulls out a black dress that fades like feathers falling at the bottom then pulls out an owl-shaped arm cuff.

Lauren changes into the dress in the changing room before stepping back out, whistling. "Okay, okay, I'll say it... I'm impressed," Lauren says.