17. Seth's Best Friend

"Captain, incoming message." Worf's deep voice emanates from my phone, signaling an incoming text message. The aging office chair I salvaged for home use squeaks as I lean back with my phone.

TAI: What's up bro? I'm back.

I grin. Hanging out with my best friend makes me feel like less of a loser. Is it because he's a linebacker for the school football team, which makes me cool by proximity? Come on, I'm not that shallow. But if I'm honest with myself, I do, on occasion, sometimes hope that his coolness would rub off on me.

We may run in different crowds now, but back in the day when we were little, we only had each other. I was the skinny introvert who sometimes stuttered when nervous, and he was the new kid that other kids called fat and funny-looking. I was enamored with the Hulk t-shirt he wore his first day. Was it because I secretly wanted to hulk out and stomp on bullies? Perhaps.

We became friends, and we've had each other's backs ever since.

My thumbs fly over the screen.

SETH: Cool. How was Camp Jockstrap? Are you Heisman material now?

TAI: You know it. Hungry. Want to eat and shoot things.

SETH: Come on over, big man. Xbox awaits.

TAI: See ya in 15

An hour later, the doorbell rings. I open the front door and find Tai standing there in his signature Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts, and flip-flops.

"I thought you said fifteen minutes?" I cross my arms, pretending to be annoyed.

Tai grins and lifts up two large fast food bags. "I'm half Samoan. You know time is only a suggestion. Besides, I got us some eats."

"Ooh, did you get me the waffle fries?"

"Yup."

"With ranch dressing instead of ketchup?"

"You wound me, mon Capitain."

I smile big at the Star Trek quote. "Totally forgiven. Come on in."

Tai peers into my mouth. "Dude, your braces are gone."

"Yup!" I run a tongue over my now-bare teeth. "At long, long last. I hated those things."

"Yeah, me too. I felt bad always telling you there was food stuck in there."

I jab him with an elbow and take one of the bags.

"So what's new?" Tai asks as he settles onto a couch and unpacks his food. "Did you cure cancer yet?"

I swipe a fry from his bag. "That's on backburner while I stalk this girl."

Tai pauses, wrapped burger in mid-air. "A girl?" He sets the burger down and gives me his full attention. "Seriously."

I pump my head up and down. "A drummer."

"Huh." Tai jams six fries into his mouth at once. "Karen Carpenter was a drummer."

"She was? How do you know? I barely recognize that name, and only because my parents mention her now and then when they talk about the seventies."

"My mom's a fan, bro."

I unwrap my burger. "I didn't know the Carpenters were big in Samoa."

Tai shrugs. "I don't know about Samoa, but the Carpenters were big in her house. So where'd you meet this drummer girl? Is she hot?"

My face goes soft and googly-eyed. "She's amazing. She creates these incredible riffs on buckets and kitchenware."

He lifts an eyebrow. "Like pots and pans?"

"Yup."

"I've seen these guys on YouTube. Is she a street performer?"

"Yeah, you should see her play. It's unreal. I finally got her phone number today." Thinking about my triumphant moment makes my stomach somersault like a cheerleader. I can hardly believe I did it.

"You did? No way! That's my man!" Tai raises his hand overhead for a high five and I smack it. "You call her yet?"

My stomach flips again, this time less like a cheerleader and more like mouse dodging a cat. "No, not yet. How long should I wait? You're supposed to wait a few days before calling a girl, right? After you get her number?"

Tai waves his hand dismissively. "Whatever. You call when you feel like it. Games are for dingbats."

"Thanks for setting me straight, man." I slap his arm and pop a waffle fry into my mouth. "I kind of want to call her right now."

"Then do it, dude. You have my blessing."

"Right now?"

"Why not?"

"With you staring at me?"

"I won't look." He rotates his body away from me and picks up his burger again. "Go ahead."

I pull my phone out of my pocket. Tai makes it sound so easy, but I can already feel the anxiety rising like bile in my throat.

"Nah." I set the phone down as casually as I can. "I'll do it later. I'm hungry."

"No worries, bro. Cold fries suck anyway."

That's what I like about Tai. Never judging. Chill about everything and always going with the flow.

I wish I could be more like that.

If we accept the the things we can't control (like other people), we release a lot of stress. And maybe find a few votes coming our way.