30. Jordi's Bestie

"Would I have to stay the whole day?" My friend Winnie sounds wary over the phone, like I'm trying to trick her into visiting the dentist.

I've gotten it into my mind that my best friend should meet the guy I keep thinking about. I want to be able to talk to her about him, but she's going to get frustrated at me if I keep babbling about a guy she's never met.

"Not unless you want to," I assure her. "Seth will probably be there, since it's the closest market to his house. Besides, isn't any excuse to drive a good one, Miss I-Just-Passed-My-Driving-Test?"

Winnie squeals. "Two excellent points. I can't believe I passed!"

"I can."

"That's because you're awesome. Now, this Seth guy. Is he, like, Dustin two-point-oh? Is he hotness incarnate?"

I cringe and wonder if telling my friend about him was a bad idea. "No, he's nothing like Dustin."

"That's okay. One Dustin is quite enough. You deserve better. This guy must be even hotter, am I right?"

I hesitate. Hot doesn't quite align with what Seth is. The boy has depths that transcend all that superficial stuff. "Not exactly. He's cute in his own way. A little awkward, but smart."

It's Winnie's turn to pause. "Is that like saying he's beautiful on the inside, but outside he looks like Quasimodo?"

I laugh at the image of Seth with a massive hump on his back. "No, but have an open mind, okay?"

"An open mind. Right. I'll expect a smart hunchback with a lazy eye. That way I won't be disappointed."

I shake my head at the phone. "Whatever works for you, Winnie."

The next day at the farmers market, Seth arrives as expected while I'm still setting up. I'm wondering when Winnie is going to show and if it's going to be awkward. Winnie is loyal but has strong opinions. There's a distinct possibility she might scare Seth, but she has to meet him sooner or later.

"Hi," he says as he takes a bucket from me and sets it on the ground.

I smile back at him, genuinely pleased to see him. "Hi. How did it go last night with your parents?"

"They were arguing when I got home, so there wasn't much of a discussion." He busies himself with aligning the bucket with a frying pan.

"That's okay. There'll be other times. Do it when it feels right."

Seth smiles warmly as he meets my gaze. "Thanks."

He settles himself on the bench as I begin to play, and I soon lose myself in the rhythms I'm creating.

When I finally notice Winnie standing there, arms crossed and playfully tapping a foot, I finish off the set with a flourish and stand up to greet her.

"You've actually gotten better," Winnie says as we hug.

"Then why do you always look like you're being forced to listen to opera?"

"It's only because I think you're wasting your time here." She tosses her short, straight hair to one side. "I keep telling you. Start a band, get noticed, and get rich. That's how it's done."

I poke Winnie's arm. "Does that mean you have a studio executive in your pocket I don't know about?"

Winnie rolls her eyes. "Details." When they stop rolling, her eyes drift over Jordi's shoulder. "Is that him?" she whispered.

I turn my head. Seth is watching us with curiosity. "Yeah, that's him."

"Taller than I expected."

"That's because he's not a hunchback."