35. Seth Floats

I couldn't face her this morning. I was sitting on my bike, poised at the street corner to either head straight to the farmer's market or turn right and go to work. A normal person would have chosen to talk to her, find out what the deal was about yesterday. But when have I ever been normal?

Yup, I went straight to the school.

Although I'm disappointed in myself, I can't say that I'm surprised either. Bravery does not run deep in these bones.

"Good morning," Bridget greets as I trudge through the door. "You're early today."

"Yeah, I was going to do something before coming here, but it didn't work out."

"Well, there are no worms for you, early bird. Doug didn't bring donuts today." She forks a pineapple chunk into her mouth. "Not that I'd touch the stuff."

I toss my backpack into a chair. "Why not? It's like heaven in bread form."

Bridget swallows her bite and eyes me over her bifocals. "You don't live to be my age by sucking down trans fats."

I shrug and wander to the appointment book.

"What's the word of the day?" Bridget asks.

I pause, tapping the book with a finger. "Diffident."

"Diffident?" She sets her fork down and tilts her head. "That's not denture cream, is it? Because I'll have you know I have most of my original teeth." She holds up a finger to stop me when I open my mouth to speak. "No, I'm looking this one up."

After flipping through a dog-eared dictionary for a minute, she finally finds the entry and reads it aloud. "Hesitant in acting or speaking through lack of self-confidence." She looks up at me. "Hmm. Interesting word choice."

My ears burn and my eyes drop back to the appointment book.

Thankfully Doug the administrator enters the office, a sheaf of papers under one arm, and distracts Bridget from further comment.

Two tutoring sessions later, with about an hour left before I'm due to leave, I'm still feeling mopey. I should've gone to see Jordi this morning. I'm not so sure now why I'd been so cowardly. What was the worst that could've happened?

I don't bother looking up when the front door opens, choosing instead to check my watch. Even if I could leave right now, I wouldn't be able to catch her. She'd be on her way home by now.

"Are you here for tutoring, dear?" Bridget asks whoever just walked in.

"Um, no. I'm looking for Seth?"

That voice! Jordi? My head pops up and our eyes meet across the room. My heart surges and the biggest grin plants itself on my face.

Bridget watches with interest as I wave Jordi over.

She approaches and stands in front of my table, shifting from foot to foot. "Hi."

"Hi." I can't believe she's here. Jordi is here!

She casts a nervous glance at Bridget, who has resumed her attention to the computer. "I missed you today," she tells me.

My heart trips on itself. "Y-you did?"

She nods. "I wanted to... I'm sorry if I acted weird yesterday."

"I didn't notice," I lie.

"I'd like to make it up to you."

"Yeah?" I lean forward. "How?"

"There's a drum circle this Sunday. I'd like you to come."

"Drum circle? What's that?"

"Once a month, a bunch of people bring their percussion instruments to a gathering place and we all play together. It's really fun. My dad and I go every time."

My heart stops its happy tripping. Needless to say, parents—any parents, not just mine—make me nervous. "Uh, will your dad be okay with that?"

She grins. "For sure! He's all about recruiting people to the way of the drum."

"Oh, well, okay then. That sounds great!"

Jordi glances around the office. "So this is where you work, huh?"

"Yup." I lace my fingers behind my head and lean back. "Glamorous, right?"

She laughs. "Oh, very."

I finally notice she's still standing. "Why don't you sit? I'm off in an hour."

The front door opens again and a teacher strides in to talk to Bridget. Jordi glances over and begins drumming her fingers against her thigh. "No, I should get going. It was good seeing you."

"Oh, okay. I'll walk you out." I'm disappointed she's not staying longer, but she invited me to a drum circle! I'm so excited, I nearly forget that her dad is going to be with us, so it won't actually be a date. But oh well. Small victories.

I silently float beside her until we're in front of her bike.

"So," I finally say, "drum circle, huh? How many times have you been?"

She rests a hand on the handlebar, eyes rolling skyward in thought. "A lot. I've lost count. We've been going since I was five."

"Five?"

"Yeah. I think I was drumming before I was walking."

I shake my head in disbelief. "You are amazing."

She smiles and ducks her head. "Thanks. See you later."

I watch as she pedals away, trailer creaking gently behind her.

She still likes me.

Are my feet even touching the ground? I'd better head back into the building, otherwise I might go sailing off into the clouds.

*queue Enya music* Sail away, sail away, sail away! You may also vote away, if you'd like.