less than (requested)

"I had so much fun tonight! Thank you for coming!" You told your friend Seulgi as you both stood up while Jihye sipped on her drink at the kitchen table.

"Of course, I was so happy to come and spend some time with you. Things have been so busy for us both lately. I hope we can hang out within the next week or two." She grinned as she pulled you in for a hug.

Jihye bit the inside of her cheek, her brown eyes rolling in annoyance as she watched you and Seulgi hug for a moment. 

Seulgi's hand innocently brushed across your back as she held you. 

She was just cherishing the hug with you because it feels as though it's been forever since she's been able to see you and hug you as friends should.

But Jihye didn't like what she saw and her mind was beginning to wander as you both lingered in each other's arms for a moment.

You exited the kitchen together and locked the door once you watched Seulgi pull her car out of the driveway and head home.

"Well, that was fun!" You grinned as you returned to the kitchen. "She's going to come over again soon!"

"Great," Jihye spoke as she finished her drink, setting her empty glass on the table with a slight thud.

After, she folded her arms over her chest and got caught up in her thoughts.

"Babe? What's wrong? I thought you liked Seulgi."

"I do."

"Then what's your problem? You're acting a little off, as though you're jealous or something."

"I'm not jealous!" She defended and stood up to walk to the garbage, scraping the remaining food on her plate off and into the bag.

"Then what's going on? Why do you seem so unhappy?"

She didn't say anything as she kept her back turned to you and put her plate in the sink, rinsing it off.

"Jihye?" You sighed and got up, walking over to her. "Tell me what it is. Please."

"You just seem so happy around her." Jihye quietly spoke as she turned to face you, her head hanging down.

"Well, she is one of my best friends."

"Yeah. Friends." She mumbled, making you frown. "A bunch of people ship the two of you together, sometimes more than they do us. They say you're so cute together and you're always grinning when you're around each other and you'd make such a cute couple."

"Jihye, what are you getting at?"

"I don't know." She said as she ran her fingers through her long hair. "Sometimes, I just look at you and her and I wonder if you'd make a better couple than you and I. I mean, Seulgi has everything. She's talented and she's beautiful and-"

"Jihye," you interrupted and stepped closer to her. "She is talented and beautiful but she's my friend and that's all she will ever be. You're the one that I love."

Jihye stared into your eyes and you could tell she was feeling down on herself.

"I don't feel as though I'm good enough compared to her, as if I'm less than and she could make you happier than me."

"That's not true or possible, baby." You assured as you cupped her soft cheek in your hand. "Jihye, Seulgi makes me happy but only as a friend. She's been my friend for a long time. We have a lot in common, we've known each other for years. I promise you, we don't have any feelings for each other whatsoever."

She let out a heavy sigh.

"You don't have any reason to feel insecure or less than. You're the one I'm in love with. I don't care what people say. If they think I'd be better with Seulgi then I have bad news for them because that's never going to happen. Seulgi is getting into a relationship with someone anyway and it's certainly not me."

Jihye chuckled softly.

"We don't feel that way about each other. If we're anything more than friends, it's sisterly. Not the kind of love that I have for you. I don't feel that way about her, she doesn't feel that way about me, and that's never going to change."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. But don't feel insecure, please. You're perfect to me, just as you are. In my eyes, there's no one better or more beautiful in this world. You're my everything and I'm so in love with you."

"I'm so in love with you." She repeated, her eyes lighting up as a smile tugged at her lips.

"Better now?"

"Yeah."

"Good. Give me a hug." You said and pulled her in for a big, comforting hug.

She closed her eyes and let out a contented sigh as she held you, wishing that she would never, ever have to let you go.