Year 1 Chapter 3

The magic thrums in the air like a harmony of angels singing. It feels amazing. I can feel it, I can smell it, I can practically taste it on my tongue and I never want it to end.

The scarlet red train on the platform 9 3/4 of King's Cross station is breathing out thick grey smoke that mixes with the magic in the air.

Getting through the mass crowds and onto the train is a challenge and very disturbing. I hate physical contact so that for me was a nightmare I felt I couldn't ever again wake from.

Once I'm finally on the train and seated I let out a sigh of exaggerated relief.

I close my compartment door with locking charms and get my book out of my bag. I decided not to bring a pet to Hogwarts, I don't need an owl, I haven't anyone to send letters to my family abandoned me and I have no friends. Cars are to messy and too high maintenance and a toad really?

Why kind of a pet is that? I don't see the benefits of having a slimy small creatures her that hops and croaks with no significant special abilities.

The dark arts

It is said to be believed that the dark arts are the most dangerous and deadly of the three categories, dark, light and grey, but many would disagree.

It isn't really the spell that is deadly it is the intention of that spell. Many light/grey spells are seemingly innocent and yet one can be killed with it.

Examare Maxima for example is a classified dark spell and it can blast someone into pieces, but if you don't put too much power into the spell it can disarm them safely.

Experience plays a massive part in this play, an experienced wizard can use a dark spell correctly and safely.

Ignis interitus is another example it is a dark magic spell and it sets fire to anything in it path. It can be used for good or bad, it can set fire to an army or can keep you alive if you were deserted and surrounded by dangerous magical creatures who have a resilience to normal magic.

Knock knock

I look up as a knock sounds from outside.

I take the charms off the door but keep my wand in my hand ready to boot them out if necessary.

"Mind if we take a seat? everywhere else is either full or taken by mudbloods," a blonde boy abruptly asks me as he enters. His tone is snobby but polite and I take a moment to assess him and his friends.

"This is Theodore Nott, This is Kace LeStrange, the over there across from us you have Crabbe, Goyle, Millicent Bullstrode and Pansy Parkinson," I nod my head in greeting but don't say anything to them.

They're probably smart as they don't pry for information about me, not so they try and make conversation beyond that.

I must of forgotten to put the locks back on the door though because a few hours into the journey the door opens yet again.

This time it's a boy and a girl.

"Have you seen a toad? Neville here has lost his you see," her snobby voice cuts through the silence that we were enveloped in.

Her bushy brown hair and wonky teeth are on clear display, some people care nothing for their appearances, do they?

"I'm afraid I haven't no, try a prefect though they should be able to summon it with magic," I tell her in a mocking and patronising tone but if she knows it she doesn't let it show.

She smiles big and wide, so much so that it takes everything I have not to cringe away.

"Thanks, come on Neville, let's go,"