temper

~Mae~

"Mama! No! I don't wanna go! No!"

I shouted back over my shoulder towards my mother who was allowing the strange military men to pull me away from her, away from the only place I've ever known, and onto a strange ship that would essentially take me up into space.

Up and so far away from her and Earth.

Distraught was written all over her face, tears that mirrored my own streaming her pale cheeks as she lifted one hand to give a small, saddened goodbye wave.

"I love you, ma chérie! Be good for these people and take care of your sister!"

She said with sadness breaking her voice and I couldn't contain the sob that escaped my chest, my little sister held up tightly in my arms with her own arms and legs hugging onto me like she was afraid of what was to come.

Like she was fearing for her own life.

Like I was going to abandon her just as Mama was abandoning us.

"Mama, please! I don't want to go!"

I tried to plead with my mother even as I was being hauled away, my little feet scraping against the concrete flooring as I frantically tried to yank out of the strange man's grip but he was too big, too strong.

Everybody and everything was much bigger than I was and no matter how much I put up a fight, no matter what I said or did, I was still hauled away like a criminal being sentenced for life to prison.

Sobs wracked my chest as I was physically thrown into the back of the transporting spacecraft, the metal doors shutting behind me with one final, resounding bang of a sound.

My arms squeezed Collette tighter to my chest as the many adults in the small, cramped area were huddled together, shoved against one another as the ship jolted, the engines sputtering once as the captain gave the order for take off.

The shuttle jet took off from the runway, leaving behind a cloud of smoke and dust but I fought my way over to one of the only reinforced windows in the ship, to look out and down at everything that I was leaving behind.

Because that would be the last time I ever saw Mama or my homeland again before it was blown to smithereens moments later.

"Mae? Hey, you okay?"

The gentle voice of my best friend, Indigo, startled me out of the memory from too long ago and I shook my head to clear it, the briefest flash of dizziness that came over me clearing as well.

Indigo watched with concern as I finished lacing up the straps to my heavily weighted boots while we sat on the gym bench together, the newest training recruits for the Explorer's who were running laps around the encased circular metal room drawing my attention away from my friend for a mere second or two.

Indie snapped her fingers once to bring my focus back to her, the fiery blonde headed doctor-in-training raising her light eyebrows with suspicion and concern etched onto her features.

Indie was beautiful, so much more beautiful than any of the plastic bitches that occupied the Celestial.

Her hair was an amazing cross between honey and golden blonde, the sharp cut of her angled chin-length bob haircut only drawing the naked eye to her blue eyes that were so dark, they could've been mistaken for being brown.

Her skin, covered by the same form fitting sleek one piece uniform though she was lucky enough to snag a white one as she was still in the throes of her medical training, was pale but not too pale.