release

*Zax*

"So, Z–"

Oh, no.

Here we go again with the fifty two million questions from my cousin once again for what felt like the gazillionth time today.

Even as it was nearing the darkest part of the night, even as my bones were aching with the need to relax if for even just a moment, Zion still managed to have loads of bursting energy that wouldn't calm down faster than a provoked, aggressive animal.

Sighing heavily as I carried more fallen timber logs to keep our nearby fire going along, as much as I didn't mind the cold I had absolutely no idea what temperature this alien we've encountered could survive so it was better to play it safe then be sorry, I glanced over at my younger cousin as I dropped the timber logs down into their organized stack formation.

"What is it now, Zion?"

Have you discovered the truthful meaning behind our existence as a species or something like that?

That's what I wanted to add at the end of my question but I chose not to; Zion was respectful, peaceful, as it were.

Perhaps that's why I was still agitated towards him when I found out what his next question was, he was too much of a weakling of the heart when it came to dealing with invaders on our homeland.

Especially when it came to protecting our planet at all costs.

Zion wearily eyed the fallen timber logs as he couldn't seem to make eye contact with anything else, what was he so worried about to say now?

He would usually be spurting off nonsensical chit chatting by now, not acting as if he was terrified to speak his mind freely around me, his only cousin.

"Er….What do you think could be the worst option if we let the prisoner go?"

He asked quietly, his eyes glancing towards where the prisoner was hidden behind one of the tree stumps.

My ingenious idea earlier had been to tie the prisoner up to one of the strongest breeds of trees I could find in the forest to ensure that it wouldn't be escaping anytime soon and so far, I was sure that my plan had worked.

Until Zion asked that specific question and nervousness radiated throughout my body, what had he done now?

Part of me didn't even want to answer the question for the simple fact as a small chunk of me already knew about what he was implying towards and yet, I still asked him why he would ask such a strange thing.

Perhaps I was a greedy bastard, thirsting for information and I enjoyed the pain that came with this knowledge.

Perhaps I wanted to test my limits for physical and mental strength when I gained the knowledge of the fact that the prisoner had somehow escaped, no thanks to my bumbling fool of a cousin.

Or perhaps, the more animalistic side of me wanted to continue our little game of hunter and prey.

But the prisoner, the alien that invaded our homeland, could only run for so long, could only hide in the wilderness for a limited amount of time, before they were inevitably found.

And they would be found.

Mark my words, that prisoner was going to suffer terribly for escaping.

Because if I didn't kill them first, the forest would return the favor just as eagerly.

"What exactly are you implying, Zion? Did you release the prisoner without any sort of approval? Without my permission and command?"

I spoke through gritted teeth and a clenched jaw, frustration burning through my veins like the hot slice of a sharpened blade and my younger cousin visibly paled as he swallowed his nervousness and pride before he nodded shortly.