[Chapter 2]: Her Persona Feigning Purity

First Person POV:

I gently slid the window shut and lit a candle, its flames gently flittering around the dark room as it illuminated. I, too, had a life like that of a dark room. I wished there was something that could lighten it up-  

I shook my head. There was no point in letting my emotions bind me, as soon, they  too, were going to be pushed in the deepest, darkest pits of hell. 

I smirked as that scene replayed over and over in my mind, them being beautifully slashed by the King of Curses, their screams of utter terror...

Oh, how very exciting!

But, now wasn't the time to be thinking such things. I needed to adorn and cover myself with a beautiful mask of lies, a mask that made me seem like an innocent and beautiful rose. However, since they've never seen otherwise, they probably didn't know...

That roses have the sharpest thorns. Thorns that unexpectedly prick you, catching you unaware. 

Such thoughts made me feel thrilled as I skipped across the room, holding out an eyecatching yellow kimono and an innocent white one. I attempted to choose which would complement my mask. I laughed under my breath at the obvious choice. Of course, if I wanted to deceive them, it had to be the pure, white one. 

I wrapped the kimono atop myself, gently combing my (h/l) (h/c) hair as it fluttered with my movement. I loosely tied two parts of my hair, white ribbons completing the look with light make-up.

I stared at the face in the mirror, lightly touching my rose-coloured cheeks.

Mother told me I was blessed with beauty, that I resembled the face of the man who left her, a man who was of stunning allure.

However, everytime she uttered such words, I wanted to tear my face apart. The face of a man who irresponsibly left his lover and child, just because he didn't want to pay their expenses.

I didn't want to resemble such a coward.

I grasped the hairpin that lay on the table as I gently brought it forward to myself, wishing to gruesomely stain the face that man had given me, tainting it completely.

As the tips of the pin ever so lightly grazed my cheek, heavy footsteps and banging on the door made me return to my senses again. 'Ah...'  That insolent child was here again.

"Are you finished yet, Lady (y/n)?" yelled a young maid at the top of her lungs, consistently stomping her foot on the tatami* floorbeds as it lightly creaked. 

I was thankful, however, as that sudden noise brought me back to reaility. I took a deep breath, releasing my panic, trembling as I glanced at my hands. It was...as if I was controlled. So controlled by my own will that I was on the verge of committing a cowardly act. 

I clenched my hands as I tried to forget the fragments of a past I had left behind. Memories of the days, where I was like a pure white canvas, days when the crushing reality in front of my (e/c) eyes stained me. An unclean, black canvas...that's who I now was. 

Forgotten memories kept resurfacing, with every attempt to alter my thoughts failing, as my mind continued being prevailed. 

Thats it!

I slapped myself back to reality. The painful bruise on my face beautifully covered my cheeks as I sniggered. A pitiful and yet a beautiful woman. Who wouldn't have the urge to protect someone like that? A woman like that...

Was the most dangerous of all.

"Lady (y/n)?" 

Oh...that maid was still there. 

"Yes, I'm coming!" I hurriedly adorned myself with ornaments as I assured her of my arrival. The sound of the maid complaining rang in the room. 

Uh oh...this wasn't good. 

My urge to silence her was soon to overtake my rationality. However, I kept myself calm as I quickly slid open the door. Now, what was left was my mask, an embodiment of pureness and pity.

I lightly shook my body, putting on the act of trembling as I drooped the corners of my eyes, portraying a petite and frail woman.

"Y-yes? D-did you wait long?" I pretended to stumble, forcing droplets of crystal tears out of my (e/c) eyes as I stared at that maid, sniffling. 

That maid displayed a condescending attitude as she didn't even muster the attempt to hide her annoyance, visibly rolling her eyes. 

"The master, madam and your siblings have been waiting for you for a long time, miss. You should hurry it up to show your gratefulness to them, as they were kind enough to take in someone like you, who was destined to die in filth."

Her insults brought me nonexistent pain as I attempted to hide my mocking laughter. She'd have to do so much more in order to even inflict the pain of a needle prick upon me. I quickly sorted my emotions out as I continued my facade. 

"I-I'm so sorry!" I sniffed.

She huffed as she turned around, signalling me to follow her. 

It sure was hard keeping that mask on. The persona* that I showed these repulsive people...I wanted to shred it apart and scatter its bits behind me. But it was evident I couldn't do such a thing if I wanted to fulfill that woman's last wishes and survive. 

I slowly inhaled and exhaled. I had to hold it in if I wanted to experience the joy of witnessing their shocked faces, when I take off the mask in front of their despairing souls.

As my steps approached closer and closer to the main hall, my beating heart wouldn't calm. 

Ba-dum Ba-dum.

I covered my face, unable to hide the noticible grin I had as the palpitations of my exhilarated heart resonated throughout the hallways. 'Heheh...' I thought to myself, unable to bear the wait. 

Their ends were fast approaching.

A feeling of yearning overcame my chest. The yearning for Ryomen Sukuna, the curse who would soon become my saviour, my salvation...

And the curse who would end my life of torment.

Author's Note: In case any of you weren't sure, the mask I'm referring to meant her fake personality. She puts on an innocent and pitiful facade in order to earn sympathy and survive. 

Some words mentioned in this chapter were tatami, which is the flooring used in Japanese houses, as well as persona, which basically another word for 'fake personality.'

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and I'm looking forward to seeing you in the next one! :)