[Chapter 9]: An Intertwined New Destiny

First Person POV

The sound of my beating heart resonated throughout the room, the empty silence deafening my eardrums as I slowly tilted my head, my body freezing in place as absolute fear filled every vein in my body. 

Ba-Dump Ba-Dump.

It was as if the dream-like sensation which entranced me mere moments ago became fragments as they shattered, reality slapping itself painfully upon my face. The feeling of floating amongst clouds was akin to chipped glass as my eyes shut gently,  a familiar scene which I had engraved into my memories emerging once more. 

Ah...It had always been that way.

Like a naive and innocent child who gave into the intoxicating temptations of candy, I had always placed my trust in the entrancing whispers of adults, whose words contained the sweetness of honey. The enchanting whispers of an otherworldly woman akin to an angel, my mother, who had always grasped me in her arms, her alluring face drenched in tears as she had begged me to forgive her sins.

My mind throbbed, my surroundings blanking into a blur as I recalled the scene of her lying across a bed of dust, sounds of her coughing resonating throughout the room as she glanced toward me, her eyes upon mine. Her once bright complexion now dull, her plump lips shriveled as her bony hand gently held mine. The butterfly that I could never reach no matter how hard I attempted to grasp it was now within my reach, yet, it was so vulnerable that I was afraid to hold it.

"You...must survive, (y/n)...my beautiful daughter," she whispered upon her last breath, a gentle look gracing her departing eyes before they shut close.

Ah...such gentle words. So contradictory that it had made me feel as if I'd been loved my whole life. Yet, little did I know that those very words would throw me into an abyss of unending doom, with none to pull me out of it.

Father...the light that reached out toward me during the darkest days I faced. He was like a radiant lamp, entrancing all those around him. Like a moth, I too, was attracted to such alluring light that I began to crave it. Yet, greed had always caused humans suffering. Behind those masks of gentle warmth and loving words were the faces of those who were the true epitome of cursed spirits.

That familiar yet unpleasant sensation of being lured, only to be toyed with...

Mother and father were two sides of the same coin, both seemingly different, yet so similar that it was eerie. The familiar intoxicating whispers that lured me toward them...the same temptations and craving of affection that dragged me down into the abyss.

I was beyond tired.

The disappointment that filled me up countless of times in my life, the expectations that died with each day piling on top of me, dragging me down...now, I no longer craved that sensation. I no longer had a thirst for affection, since it had been quenched by the countless tastings of misfortune. 

Ryomen Sukuna had appeared in front of me like a light, and I couldn't deny my attraction toward the man who had appeared to grasp me and pull me out of the abyss. Yet, I knew I was to be disappointed yet again.

The motive of the King of Curses was unclear.

I shut my eyes tightly, clenching my fists as I awaited the special grade to strike me. I had hoped to survive, however...it would probably be better to embrace eternal peace.