[Chapter 3]: Their Hearts Resembling Thorns

First Person POV

The pounding in my chest continued intensifying as I felt the utmost delight at that moment. They, who never cared about me, who never thought of me as anything more than a tool...

Were going to get elegantly slaughtered.

I wondered what 'father' would look like when the tool he used his blood and tears to polish causes him an injury? Such a sight, it was worthy enough to be the last thing I witnessed.

The last scene I'd set my sights upon before I toppled down the stairs I spent these years walking up, stairs that I struggled to climb in order to cling on to life.

As I imagined their corpses, tainted with the ominous crimson of blood, the sudden scene of that day replayed in mind.

It was the scene of the day I had lost it all. My eyes widened as I was once again tormented by the flashes of that woman's body, a figure dipped in blood as she lay on the cold alleyway. A wound stabbed through her wounded heart...

Ba-dump Ba-dump

Again, I had witnessed the end of that foolish woman.

My eyes widened as I clenched my body, grasping the palms of my hands tightly as I attempted to walk back to reality.

'Calm down, (y/n)' I thought to myself. It was but a forgotten memory that I had left behind. There was no point in worrying about the past I had thrown away.

"Lady (y/n), we're here!" the maid yelled as her exasperating voice filled my ears.

Finally.

The moment I'd been waiting for finally arrived. I bit my lip gently. Now wasn't the time to sort through my memories as the scene I'd been waiting for ever so desperately had faced itself before me.

I smirked.

'Ah...' I realised, 'I almost forgot my mask.'

The servants of the family greeted me in front of the Shoji that separated the main hall from the hallways.

"Lady (y/n)," bowed the servants. At the corner of my eyes, though they attempted to conceal it, I could notice the contempt they had for me. Their indifferent manner, mocking looks...

Yeah, it was something I was quite used to, so used to that it could compare to my daily routine of eating the cold dishes they served to me.

'Heh...' Too bad I had no intention to deal with the insignificant, as it would be a misuse of the little time I had left on my clock.

As the shoji* slid gently open, I was presented with a scene that felt like a stunning dream. The cherry blossoms gently blew through the window into the room, the winds cascading through my hair as the elegant white moonlight brightly shone on their faces.

They, who were like angels, a beautiful and warm family...

They, too, wore a mask.

A mask of kindness, that sealed away the malicious intent they had. The warm smiles they plastered in their faces made you feel as if you were being enchanted.